Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust in my hair - keeping your hairbrushes clean

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Dust in my hair - keeping your hairbrushes clean

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Yes - oiled hair attracts dust, also lint and pet hair.

One method I've used to keep my BBB clean is to press cheesecloth through the bristles to the base of the brush. After I brush my hair or once per week or so, I pull out the cheesecloth and everything else comes out with it.
    I remember reading that in Seventeen magazine about a million years ago (when I was 17 ) It works if you aren't look lazy, like me, to go get some cheesecloth. Cheesecloth was also said to help take the greasies out of hair. You smushed your bristles through the cheesecloth and it was supposed to wipe off or soak up some of the sebum/oil on the hair.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I don't have a brush, but I find my hair and comb have never had enough lint or dust to be a problem because I keep my comb in the cute little bag that it came with. I only need to clean it around every two weeks, or even a month, and that's due to sebum and oil buildup. When I do, I use a toothbrush and my shampoo to clean it off.

Are you guys leaving your stuff out in the open? Even if it's in a drawer, your combs/brushes are going to collect more dust than if you keep them in a bag.
    Last edited by Sharysa; April 14th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    24,4/hip/Hip +
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I do also get dust in my brushes, especially my BBB collects a lot of dust!! so i stopped using it a few months ago. But i just tried to brush the dust out with a tooth comb.

Length
    16.9/22/32.2
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I always have loads of dust on my tangle teezer. I doubt the dust is coming FROM my hair, but I think the tangle teezer is what puts the dust in my hair. I think it's because when I brush my hair with the tangle teezer, it brushes against my clothes. The part of the brush that touches my clothes is dusty,the other half isn't!

Length
    SL/30/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

My BBBs don't get dust when left by themselves, but since I use them to clean my hair (only wash my hair once a week), they catch all the dust/lint/sebum from my hair. I don't use them again until they are washed because the purpose of my brushing is to clean and I don't want all that stuff back. So my solution is to have 3 cheap BBBs and rotate them. When it's time to clean them, dilute some shampoo in the sink and soak the brushes for a couple of minutes, getting the soap all around them by rubbing one against the other and also using my combs (so they get clean too). Then I dry them bristles down on a towel.

My brushes are wood/bristles only, no fabric cushion. They at least 5 years old and haven't been damaged by this routine.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Ha! I get dust in my hair too. Especially noticeable since it is dark. I just leave it. Can't advise you on brush cleaning because I don't brush my hair

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I remember reading that in Seventeen magazine about a million years ago (when I was 17 ) It works if you aren't look lazy, like me, to go get some cheesecloth. Cheesecloth was also said to help take the greasies out of hair. You smushed your bristles through the cheesecloth and it was supposed to wipe off or soak up some of the sebum/oil on the hair.
    I probably got it from Seventeen magazine, too. I was a fan.

Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Once, when stationed in Germany, we lived next door to farmland. Stank terribly during fertilizer season. They didn't have A.C. there so you have to open your windows for a few minutes, twice a day to remove stale air. This let all the huge horse flies and horrible dust in. Brushes are dust magnets because your hair's natural oils stick to the stuff. I found a pretty box a stored all my brushes and combs in it. They still got dirty from use but it wasn't the dust from being left out. You could try that. Such a simple thing. I also liked the ritual of opening a carved wooden box and removing a beautiful comb or brush. Greatly appealed to my girly, princess side.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I am the only one who uses my brushes and I never use anyone elses brushes. So I don't really have a reason to care about the dust and lint.
    This is pretty much how I feel.