Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can sulfates be good for some hair?

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Can sulfates be good for some hair?

My hair doesn't seem to mind sulfates (or cones... or even mineral oil). For example, I just got back from a vacation during which I used a sulfate shampoo (made to get chlorine out of hair) daily, and then went over that with lots of Suave conditioner from roots to ends. Frankly, it made my hair feel fantastic and look so shiny. If you like your hair when you use sulfates and there seem to be no negative effects, go ahead. It's your hair, and you don't have to follow all the advice on LHC (even though much of it is fantastic).

Length
    15/40/45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I use sulphate shampoo. I don't know about my hair, but my scalp seems to prefer sulphates. I've never been a daily washer, but if I go long enough without using a sulphate shampoo on my scalp it tends to get a little bit itchy (didn't use to be the case, I did very well on WO for quite some time).

Length
    pixie/clssc/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/i

My hair doesn't seem to have a preference either way - it feels and handles the same whether I use sulfates or not.

Length
    Chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I use 'cones and sulfates. My scalp is happier, and I don't have to wash every day. I do wash 3 or 4 times a week, however.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

My scalp and hair like sulfates. I have oily scalp and the hair builds up easily on anything. I've tried CO/WO for a few months, it wasn't bad, but sulfates are better for me, and my hair grows faster this way.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    -Chin/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

It's not whether it has sulfates with my hair, it's the actual product and the other things it has in it. Because I have Seborrheic Dermatitis my scalp is super picky and it sometimes likes sulfates, sometimes doesn't. And my hair looks good with sulfates OR none. But I do need to clarify often, since I need my 'cones!

So yeah, it just depends on your hair. Since you said your scalp doesn't feel as clean why not give the sulfates a try? You might as well!
    Chin ~Shoulder~ APL ~ BSL~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

If I don't use sulfates the cones build up and my hair feels horrible. I've been so happy with it lately after switching back, it feels like silk and I don't have that gross residue feeling on the ends. The only thing that I tend to notice is my baby hairs at the top of my head like to stick straight out at times if I don't drown my hair in condtioner, so I'm guessing it's not something I would want to wash my hair with every day, but since I usually stretch washes to every 4 or 5 days I'm fine with it.

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Yep, I'd rather use a drop or 2 of sls in a big rinse that leaves some of my own sebum than lots of coatings.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

My scalp needs a good washing, and sulfates do that. When I've tried sulfate free in the past I've ended up with little scalp pimples, so I stick with sulfates. They work.

Length
    ASL/27 in/HipL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

another proud cones and sulfate user :-)

Renegray also a member of the Micro-trim club