View Poll Results: When do You let your hair out?

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sleeping

8 4.37%
  • Special ocations

20 10.93%
  • Sometimes, when I feel like it.

67 36.61%
  • Everyday

51 27.87%
  • When I want to brag about my length. ;D

5 2.73%
  • Brushing, and washing.

32 17.49%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When you do let your hair out?

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: When you do let your hair out?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamia View Post
    I know this is horrible of me, but I wear mine down when I want to be noticed.
    Why the hell not?

Nothing wrong with a little attention.

Knit, love, sign.
    Lisa Monster's 101 in 1001

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I wear it down for brushing and washing, or posing and admiring it in front of the mirror! How vain.

Quote Originally Posted by humble_knight View Post
    I ask because of a discussion with a floorlengther friend, who was ticked off when two teenage girls photographed her using their mobile phone
    Quote Originally Posted by leslissocool View Post
    I would be ticked off too!
    Slightly off-topic, but does "ticked off" mean the opposite in American English than it does in British English? Otherwise, I cannot fathom the meaning of these sentences, and am puzzled by them.

In the UK, to be ticked off means someone is doing something to YOU. They are scolding you. Example: you forget to tidy your room, so your mother ticks you off. You break an LHC rule, and the mods tick you off. Et cetera. Et cetera. Oh, we also say "to give someone a ticking-off" which means to scold someone.

I gather that in the US, being ticked off means being annoyed?
    Last edited by chopandchange; March 7th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    23.5/28.5"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Everyday here..

Length
    23.5/28.5"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

MMMM I am British (only been in Australia 2 yrs) and to me ticked off is like annoyed to me. always has been

asked DH and he says the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by chopandchange View Post
    I wear it down for brushing and washing, or posing and admiring it in front of the mirror! How vain.

Slightly off-topic, but does "ticked off" mean the opposite in American English than it does in British English? Otherwise, I cannot fathom the meaning of these sentences, and am puzzled by them.

In the UK, to be ticked off means someone is doing something to YOU. They are scolding you. Example: you forget to tidy your room, so your mother ticks you off. You break an LHC rule, and the mods tick you off. Et cetera. Et cetera. Oh, we also say "to give someone a ticking-off" which means to scold someone.

I gather that in the US, being ticked off means being annoyed?

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

um, when i feel like it.. it tangles easily so i hardly ever wear it down.. and if i do it seldom stays down down forever.. eventually ill braid it, even if i dont fasten the end it still keeps tangles away..
    can i call this classic length

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by fairystar32 View Post
    MMMM I am British (only been in Australia 2 yrs) and to me ticked off is like annoyed to me. always has been

asked DH and he says the same?
    All that's happened to you and your DH is that you're becoming Americanised.

Let me guess - do you say "gotten" instead of got? And do you omit prepositions on days of the week?

"What are you doing Saturday?" always makes me want to reply "excuse me, my name's not Saturday, and I'm not really doing anything in particular."

There should be the word "on" in there, if anyone is enquiring about my plans for the weekend.

I have just googled "ticked off" out of interest. I am apparently "rather outmoded" and quaint, in my refusal to be Americanised and my stubborn determination to cling to my roots and be British. Jolly good, what? Tally ho, old thing! I say, spiffing article, what?

See below:

Meaning

Chastised; 'told off', or in a separate US meaning, 'annoyed'. There's also the literal meaning of 'ticked off' - when ticks are placed against a list of items as they are noted.
    Origin

The 'chastised' meaning is of UK military origin and dates from the early 20th century and is now rather outmoded. It is usually applied to a child or subordinate. the earliest known citation of it in print is in a 1915 letter which was later published in Wilfred Owen's Collected Letters:
    "He has been 'ticked-off' four or five times for it; but is not yet shot at dawn."
    The more recent American meaning of 'annoyed' is unrelated and dates from around the 1960s. For example, this piece from The Charleston Gazette, April 1969:
    "The letter that really ticked me off was the one from the wife who said she felt like a prostitute."
    Last edited by chopandchange; March 7th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I chose "sometimes, when I feel like it." I sometimes wear it down when I'm sleeping, but it's usually braided & sometimes I wear it down during the day when I'm not feeling too lazy to dry it in the morning.
    Pixie--Chin--SL--BSL--Waist--Hip--Tailbone--Classic

Length
    Waist/SL/meh..
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I dislike the way I look when my hair is up, so I wear it down all the time.

The only time I wear it up is when it's hot outside. Oh, I also braid to bed

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Sometimes, when I feel like it.
    My hair is too thin in most non-LHC people's eyes to get compliments, so there's no use in wearing it loose for showing off and it's too annoying for having it down every day
    ...procrastinating the new signature...

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I voted Sometimes, when I feel like it. Last year that was few enough times that I could count it on one hand. This year so far, it's been once or twice a month. It does mean I need to S&D a little more often, but it's worth it.