Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Henna Gloss

Question Re: Weekly Henna Gloss

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Just FYI, henna can leave a resin coating on hair, which is what can make it feel dry / rough / tangly. It goes away with a few washings. (and since I started adding fenugreek powder to my henna and following up with an SMT, I haven't had any issues with the resin)
    Gru, can this resin coating happen even with first henna application or is it just after several henna applications? TIA

"A happy life consists in tranquility of mind." --Marcus Tullius Cicero

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Weekly Henna Gloss

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyTresses View Post
    Gru, can this resin coating happen even with first henna application or is it just after several henna applications? TIA
    Yep, it's an "every time" type of thing, rather than a "buildup over time" thing.

Based on my own experience, I'm guessing that different recipes (and possibly different brands/crops) leave different residues. A couple of washes seems to get rid of it entirely.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    28/28/52
    Type
    4a/4b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    A couple of washes seems to get rid of it entirely.
    This was not the case for me. My hair felt simply terrible even after several weeks and countless washes. Maybe the resin you refer to requires shampoo to remove? I am a strict conditioner-washer and apple cider vinegar is the harshest I get. I wouldn't have even tried henna again if not for the fact that I bought a lot of it to make the incredibly expensive shipping costs at Henna For Hair worth it. As it turns out, the henna gloss is perfect for me.
    Goal: 28" (09/10) - 34" (09/11) - 40" (09/12) - 46" (09/13)
    Actual: 28" (09/10) - 3" CUT 10/10 - 3" CUT (03/11) - 28" (08/11)

Length
    Waist/TB/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

I hennaed for the first time at the beginning of the week. My hair felt a tangly and gritty after, I couldn't get all of it out. Next day I rinsed again no shampoo and used some oil as it felt so gross. It helped. Last night I finally washed my hair and it feels normal. Possibly a little softer than usual, but I've never really had hair issues and have never done anything more than shampoo and condition before finding LHC. I'd never oiled or deep conditioned lol.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Yeah, I had issues with tangliness and what-not the first time......on the second and third apps, my first shampoo post-henna was a clarifying shampoo followed by a good moisturizing conditioner and vinegar rinse......

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Niwa View Post
    This was not the case for me. My hair felt simply terrible even after several weeks and countless washes. Maybe the resin you refer to requires shampoo to remove? I am a strict conditioner-washer and apple cider vinegar is the harshest I get. I wouldn't have even tried henna again if not for the fact that I bought a lot of it to make the incredibly expensive shipping costs at Henna For Hair worth it. As it turns out, the henna gloss is perfect for me.
    I've been CO-washing for a little over a year now -- I haven't needed shampoo to get rid of the resin.

But if I've learned anything from my time here at LHC, it's that everyone's hair is different -- what works for one person won't work the same for another person. I'm glad that you were able to find your solution with henna glosses!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Default Re: Weekly Henna Gloss--questions for knowledgeable people

full strength henna weekly. I have been doing those white hairs at my temple weekly with henna. A couple questions
    1) I have been noticing lately that after henna, I have like white flakes/dandruff in that area. Also, a lot more shedding, not breakage, but full little hairs coming out in that area. Do you all think henna will make your hair fall out, or some procses of the henna making my hair fall out there? I don't want to become bald in that area from over-hennaing. My mix is with grapefruit juice. I know people in india do it weekly. so I hope it's ok, but maybe is it not? Maybe a henna gloss in between just to add some color to those area, but not be so harsh??
    2) are there any henna gloss recipes that do deposit enough color to white strands??
    3) Can you do henna without plastic wrap?? I Just wonder because men in India do their bears, and I dcoubt they put plastic wrap on it?? It would be more comfy without having to have your scalp smothered all the time.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

mamaherrera, I do a henna gloss to my roots every 2 weeks. I have a few grays at the temple and it covers them just fine. I just throw a shower cap over the whole thing, very easy, and let it sit for an hour.

I wonder if the grapefruit juice is just a little too drying to your scalp, hence the flakes? You don't need to use acid with it. My henna gloss is about 1 tablespoon of henna, let it dye release, then mix into approximately 2/3 cup conditioner and apply.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I'd say go for it!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

thanks so much. And when you dye release the henna, what do you use to dye release it and how long?? I like that better. I know I will get less color obviously but I still don't understand teh advantage of doing a henna gloss. wouldn't it be better just to do a straight henna full, maybe with a less acidic thing, like tea and I would get more color out of that for an hour than a henna gloss. What are the advantages??? and from just an hour, what kind of color do you get on those?? And finally, you all don't think it's protein overload from doing it weekly?? I have med-coarse hairs.