View Poll Results: Which Trimming Method Helped You Most?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microtrimming/Maintaining

22 33.33%
  • S&D

27 40.91%
  • Yearly trims

7 10.61%
  • Trimming whenever it feels like it needs it

33 50.00%
  • Big chop

5 7.58%
  • Moon phase trims

4 6.06%
  • Trimming with cheese!

6 9.09%
  • Other

5 7.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Trimming Method Helped You Most?

squirrels in my pants lillielil's Avatar
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Which Trimming Method Helped You Most?

I chose both "microtrimming" and "trimming when it needs it". I generally cut about 1/2 my monthly growth, but sometimes will do more if needed or will skip a month if I don't feel it necessary.

S&D stresses me out because I'm never confident that I'm "done". I do it all the time anyway.
    Does the brain control you, or are you controlling the brain?

Type
    2a/F/ii

Big chop - when I decided to grow out my natural color and felt that not only the ends where damaged but almost the whole length did not feel in optimal condition so that's what I recommend if you can stand it and need it.

Microtrimming/Maintaining + Trimming whenever it feels like it needs it- now that I'm at waist I cut one or two centimeters of every month or every other month, I started with a schedule but I'm to forgetful so now I just do it when needed.

S&D - more often in winter (because of scarfs i think) and less often now that I have started maintaining a bit more so that the ends look fresh and thicker but not really blunt.

I feel like occasional S&D was most effective up until MBL/almost waist and that's also when I had to start to brush my hair more often, guess it's mechanical damage at that length with backpacks, chairs (I wear my hair down almost always) etc. Since I have middle thickness and thin strands I think it looks shorter if the ends don't get a trim once in a while to thicken them up a bit, they still look a bit fairytale though.

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

My fairytale ends are trimmed with cheese.

Growing back to TBL! &:D LongCurlyTress's Avatar
    Type
    3b/F/iii

I know I need a trim when my hair breaks and sheds alot during detanglingthe hemline with conditioner in the shower. About every 3 months, I trim off about an inch, maybe 1 1/2 inches and have been hovering around 35-37in (now) while I trim out my layers in my hemline. I notice a significant decrease in shed hairs after I trim. My hair is usually up in a bun so I don't notice the uneveness very often.
    I prefer to use a Creaclip the white one ... my hubby slides it down the last third of my hair after it is detangled and damp. Then he brings it over my shoulder so I can trim it. If I use Fayes, or the under the chin, it is straight in front but when I put my hair on my back it is uneven. I have tried these other methods but the Creaclip works better for me.

I think my milestones have taken me a bit more than a year apart to reach the next one. My hair was chin length in March, 2011 when I did a big chop from waist? to chin length to cut off the dyed brassy length that had grown out to chin length. I have been hovering around TBL since last December but kept trimming every three months to cut out the last layers and thicken up the hemline/braid tassel.

Btw, Shepherdess, your hair is so lovely!!
    Last edited by LongCurlyTress; July 16th, 2016 at 08:56 AM.

July, 2016 @ 37inches TBL

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Though I am growing my hair, it never seems to grow evenly, so I do trim regularly. However, microtrims seem like more of a pain than they are worth with my current haircut, so I usually wait awhile and then trim a third to a half inch since it is kind of a pain to cut my layers. Since none of the "easy" layering methods look even remotely professional on my hair type, I have my own special method of doing my layers and my hemline, and though it isn't difficult, it takes FOREVER to do correctly. I'd probably grow more quickly if I microtrimmed, but I just don't want to do that much work all the time.

Type
    2a/F/i

Microtrimming for me! I tried not trimming for a year, and my ends suffered.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I do a combination of microtrimming & S&D on a moon phase schedule It's been and continues to be an ideal approach for me toward reaching my goal length of TBL (which I have) and thickening my hemline back to blunt (which I'm still working on).

I go with trimming on the new moon just for the sake of sticking to a monthly schedule, not for any attempt at accelerated growth - honestly I've noticed no difference in growth rate whether trimming by the moon or not. I've refined my trim cycle so that I'm dusting the racers for 2 months and the chopping about an inch on month 3. This keeps my ends fresh monthly but also gives me a mini-boost toward hemline thickness 4 times a year. I S&D as needed, maybe once every 2-3 weeks or so.
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I only trim when I feel like my ends are just tooo thin for me to like. My hair doesn't get damaged or break so if and when I trim it's purely for cosmetic purpose.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

I'm Not Back! ;)
    Length
    18/18/28
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I trim when I feel like it needs it. Anything more is too much and anything less gives me the grabby ends of doom. I tried S&D but my hemline did not thank me.
    Longhair in the making. I've got a bit of a ways to go but it's only a matter of time. 2nd try.

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Big Chop, Microtriming and Moon Phase!

They all have helped my hair tremendously!

I woud never try SD, it takes forever even on my fine hair. Yearly trim would be fine if I had thick or coarse hair, so microtrim every two months for me!

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>