Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating disorders and growing to Classic

Length
    APL/MBL/CL+
    Type
    4a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Eating disorders and growing to Classic

Sarahchant - I'm glad to here your managing it better, this gives me hope that one day I will be able to too . I have to an extent also noticed my hair thinning out, it may just be in my head but when i eat healthier for a few weeks i feel like my shedding is reduced.

Lapushka - I haven't paying attention to my hair enough to notice any thinning in it but if i commit to recovery maybe I'll notice it getting thicker .

Maybe its odd but little things like the possibility of my hair getting stronger and thicker make me want to recover more. I'm really hoping I can go on my journey to health in conjunction to my journey to classic length hair

New growth is wild brickworld13's Avatar
    Length
    SHL/CL+/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hi and welcome. Most of the active members don't come over to this board much. If you want advice from a larger section of the population you should post this in one of the discussion boards. I'm not sure which one it would belong under though. It's about your hair and your health. It's either the Mane board or the Health and Body Beautiful board. Probably the Mane board will get you more hair tips and the Health board will get you more tips for dealing with your eating issues.

I wish you luck in your journey. Recovery from any type of disordered eating is not easy and is a lifelong commitment. If your hair is inspiring you to make healthier choices, that is a fantastic motivator. I have really uneven thickness from when I had a depression related eating disorder.

Length
    28/38/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Hey, eating disorders are not good. Try to turn your disorder into a health freak disorder. If that makes any sense. Try to go Vegetarian and help the animals. Check out myfitnesspal and fitbit. As for hair eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia can cause the hair to become brittle and break off due to loss of nutrition. Your outside hair care routine will not do any good, you have to be healthy on the inside. If you would like someone to talk to about this email me at belladoll2014@hotmail.com.

Length
    15/19.5/9999'
    Type
    2b/M/ii

A redirected food obsession is an untreated food obsession. A vegan who will drive 30 miles to buy cruelty-free shoelaces will become a Paleo'er who will spend weekends barefoot hunting squirrels in the park. Once you get locked into a serious food obsession, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. It's not what's on the plate, it's what's in the mind. Genuine one-on-one or group treatment with good thought journaling and similar interventions etc., tend to have the best outcomes.

Length
    12/17/30
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicAim View Post
    Maybe its odd but little things like the possibility of my hair getting stronger and thicker make me want to recover more. I'm really hoping I can go on my journey to health in conjunction to my journey to classic length hair
    I hope this can be inspiration for you and that you are successful in managing your eating disorder. Certainly healthier hair would be a nice reward for your effort.

Welcome to the forums.

This is the official thread for type 4 hair. You might get some ideas about hair care routines there. Yours seems thorough and pretty great so keep doing whatever gives you positive results.

Hair, nails and skin are a reflection of our diet and ability to properly digest the nutrients we take in. Our bodies do not prioritize hair health and growth so only once all body functions are taken care of will left over nutrients encourage healthy hair + nail growth. As you continue to recover your hair will keep on thriving. Best of luck to you.

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicAim View Post

It sounds like you have a good routine! I just wanted to say that in my experience, yes an eating disorder can make it a lot harder to grow your hair out and can prevent you from acheiving your potential thickness and length. When I recovered, my hair gained a lot of thickness. It sounds silly, but taking an interest in hair has helped me a lot in becoming more interested in taking more care of my health. It's hard to see your body objectively, but seeing your hair grow in more healthily is a tangible, visible sign that you're doing better. Whenever I think about restricting again, I think "but what about all those thickness gains! I can't bear to start shedding all my work!" Maybe I've traded in a food obsession for a hair obsession, but if the hair obsession keeps your body healthy, I say go with it!
    Good luck to you in recovery
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    APL/MBL/CL+
    Type
    4a/F/M/iii

brickworld13 - Thank you for the advice I may post in the health boards soon to get some help with the eating issues x.

SummerCherie - I was vegan for about 10 months a few years ago and spent probably about half of high school on and off vegetarian . I am lactose intolerant so I don't eat any dairy and I don't like the taste of many meats. The only non-veggie things I eat are eggs, chicken and bacon and I think this is a comfortable balance for me at the moment . Thank you for offering yourself as someone to talk to, it means a lot to me x.

Knifegill - I agree, mostly . I'm going to try and get myself back in treatment again soon.

sarahchant - Yeah, it would be a lovely reward x.

McFearless - Thanks for the direction to the type 4 thread. I've been lurking at it over the last few days and i think I will post in it soon x.

Caraid♫ - DAMN! This is exactly how I feel. In all my past recovery attempts I've been focused on my body and improving it but that leads to so many difficulties because I don't really see my body objectively. Thank you so much for this post its so on point its amazing, i've been feeling this way for a few months now and trying to articulate it has been very difficult. It's really nice to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Thank you so much x

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

so glad you could relate to my post I really hope haircare can help channel your focus away from your body and help you get better like it did for me. There are probably lots of other interests and hobbies that could help take the focus away from your body, feel free to message me if you ever need
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    APL/MBL/CL+
    Type
    4a/F/M/iii

Caraid♫ - I hope so too . At the moment I find learning to play guitar and focusing on hair are helpful hobbies, I'm on the search for more things to distact/ keep my mind occupied and away from freaking out about recovery. And thank you so much for the offer ! I'll take you up on it x