Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural ways to get rid of lice

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Natural ways to get rid of lice

I successfully resolved a lice issue for my two daughters a few years back, and they have very curls waist length hair, by keeping their hair saturated in olive oil for a day, washing and conditioning then putting in lots of conditioner and using the lice comb. Right after the comb out I put in enough olive oil to saturate it, wrapped a bandana over it and waited another day or two to do the same thing. We did this for just over a week and the issue was resolved. I believe we dd a total of 3 lice combings. The part that actually helps the most though is keeping the oil saturating all of the air, all of the time for that week.
    Great conditioning benefits and it suffocates those buggers as they hatch.
    Oh and the hair was kept bunned the entire time with a bandana over it to keep from making a mess.
    Good luck!

Enchantress Maelyssa, Oracle of The Deep Wood in The Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

We make up a mix of conditioner, tea tree oil and lavender oil. Slather the hair in it, pop on a shower cap and leave for a few hours... and they ALL DIE even the nits!! It's cheaper than any OTC remedy and works much better!

I had a friend visit from Germany and he went home with lice (from my kids...oops!!) and he tried all the stuff over there, he'd leave it on his hair for 24 hours etc. to no avail, and when he used my remedy they died and never returned!
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Type
    3b/F/M/ii

This may dry out your hair but I've had good luck with a single application of Isopropyl Alcohol. UI put it in a spray bottle and saturate my hair, this also worked on my cats when they had a massive flea infestation, it kills on contact and you can comb it out with a nit comb or wash it out.

But I will understand if you hesitant to use this remedy, it can be a bit harsh depending on your hairs condition.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

if your a henna user. i believe hennaing rids of them too

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Can you get hedrin lotion where you are? I use the one hour gel/ lotion but leave it on overnight.
    It's dimeticone basically, but the silicone blocks the tiny holes in the hard lice exoskeleton that they breathe through so they ie. it also penetrates the eggs to do the sameo the unborn lice.
    I have four daughters who have long, thick hair and it works great.

Henna works too, if you look on the mehandi website Ho, you need to add another herb or two to it for it to work.

I hate nit combing my hair as I lose so many hairs doing so, so it's the hedrin or henna route for me!
    The nit buster combs linked above tho, are the absolute best I've tried. Best at removing AND the most gentle

Good luck!
    after a year with bright red hair, I'm back to henna and indigo, mainly henna applications but some indigo to take the orange down a bit! Now to get back to growing again, beyond bra strap how but aiming for hip.

Length
    SL/APL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

http://www.linicin.com/

I havenīt tried this treatment yet but Iīve bought it to have at home since there are nits spreading at my kidīs daycare. From what I can see this treatment contains pure dimethicone (i e silicone) which suffocates the nits. There are very few other ingredients and nothing that seems bad, so it should be mild for both the skin and the hair (since silicone is one of the least irritating things you can put on your skin) and not cause resistancy. Of course it means putting silicone in your hair (which many here including myself donīt normally use), but I would prefer a mild nit treatmeant and then simply having to clarify the hair instead of a harsh chemical nit treatment.

Good luck!

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by catasa View Post
    http://www.linicin.com/

I havenīt tried this treatment yet but Iīve bought it to have at home since there are nits spreading at my kidīs daycare. From what I can see this treatment contains pure dimethicone (i e silicone) which suffocates the nits. There are very few other ingredients and nothing that seems bad, so it should be mild for both the skin and the hair (since silicone is one of the least irritating things you can put on your skin) and not cause resistancy. Of course it means putting silicone in your hair (which many here including myself donīt normally use), but I would prefer a mild nit treatmeant and then simply having to clarify the hair instead of a harsh chemical nit treatment.

Good luck!
    This seems to be your us version odour hedrin
    after a year with bright red hair, I'm back to henna and indigo, mainly henna applications but some indigo to take the orange down a bit! Now to get back to growing again, beyond bra strap how but aiming for hip.

Length
    JL/SL/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/headlice/index.html
    Something to try. I read somwhere on this site, that if you let the henna sit too long for dye release, eventually the dye demises and it doesn't deposit much color. Lots of people here know more than me about it. But if you wanted the benefits without much color. Maybe that could work?

Length
    13"/39―"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

That is true. Use only hot water and let it sit in room temperature for ... uhm ... at least 6 hours. Perhaps until the next day to be sure and test it with your fingers. If you have dark hair it wount matter anyway. Use the henna mud pack more than once, to be san effective treatment. If the henna feels cold onto the head after being left in the open, just nuke it for a few seconds in the microwave or add boiling water. I dont think the resins etc get damaged. "Noname"-henna may have the lowest lawsone-content, otherwise perhaps jamila. There are non-dying hennas to be found, I just dont know where at this time. They are used for bleaching hair (in combination with curcumber and orange juice I think it was). Perhaps you can find some if you google it (Before anyone asks: Yes, it is real henna, not cassia).

I just looked up some interesting ayurvedic remedies. There are lots of them on the net!

Here is a product that may be useful, it seems to work according to ayurvedic principle: Clearlice. Its a video:
    http://clearlicereviews.info/head-li...home-remedies/

/ CMG

PS
    Dont use battery water for the henna, this has too low pH-level to be color-safe for this purpose. If you have to, put some table salt in it, or even better: Epsom salt or bicarbonate.

Length
    13"/39―"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Sorry, double posting