Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    So basically it's the fresh,crisp and /I call it that because it reminds me of/ citrusy scents that work well with it? Thanks! I'll try and play with it.

ETA: I smell like salad with herbs
    Do you mean that my suggestions made you smell like salad with herbs? Which EO's did you use? Maybe you used too much thyme? The lavender and geranium smell very flowery (because they are flowers), not like a salad with herbs OR citrusy to me.

Also, on the main topic... I haven't liked coconut oil as a leave-in but I've found recently that it works really well as a pre-wash treatment. I leave it on overnight, and it's very moisturizing. The smell makes me hungry though!
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Naiadryade View Post
    Do you mean that my suggestions made you smell like salad with herbs? Which EO's did you use? Maybe you used too much thyme? The lavender and geranium smell very flowery (because they are flowers), not like a salad with herbs OR citrusy to me.

Also, on the main topic... I haven't liked coconut oil as a leave-in but I've found recently that it works really well as a pre-wash treatment. I leave it on overnight, and it's very moisturizing. The smell makes me hungry though!
    No,no,no,no! It doesn't smell bad,your suggestion was lovely,that's just me connecting everything with food,hence the brainbleach I'm afraid the EO's didn't cover up the smell of olive oil well enough.I can still sniff it in the mixture quite clearly.I'll use it for overnight oilings.
    ETA:I only had pre-mixed essential oil blends,so I used them.
    Last edited by LadyCelestina; March 29th, 2013 at 04:50 AM.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

My hair gets very crunchy from coconut oil, so I now use it as the world's best make-up remover, and for dry scaly skin in winter. EVOO is sooo much better for my hair, but I don't like smelling like salad dressing, so I mixed in a few drops of Lavender EO.
    Just a tiny bit on my palm and then putting it over my lengths and into the ends, and it looks and feels so soft. When I'm wearing it in a bun or a braid, I'll dare to use a bit more, but it's easily too much...

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

My hair HATES olive oil! Its makes it feel drier than if I didn't put any oil on at all! It adores coconut though, I apply it to *just* damp after air drying (when it feels dry, but still feels wet-cold), and then again more heavily about 24hrs before washing. Never had a build up issue, though I do clarify once a month with cheap SLS shampoo, so maybe thats just enough for me

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Sorry if this has already been said, I have not read the whole thread. The penetrating component of olive oil is oleic acid - if you don't like the smell or texture you might try other oleic acid rich oils like avocado, sweet almond or argan oils. In coconut oil the penetrating component is lauric acid, other rich sources include palm kernel oil, babassu oil and tucuma butter.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.