Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Length
    SL/SL/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Olive oil vs Coconut Oil?

Can anyone give me a clue on what would be the best type of oiling if you have naturally oily hair but the ends are quite dry? I have rather fine hair too so too heavy an oil makes it look worse? I found coconut oil a bit too much.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Tegaladwen View Post
    Can anyone give me a clue on what would be the best type of oiling if you have naturally oily hair but the ends are quite dry? I have rather fine hair too so too heavy an oil makes it look worse? I found coconut oil a bit too much.
    If coconut oil is too heavy, then I would think olive oil would be even worse because it's one of the heavier, thicker oils. I think mostly people with very thick and/or curly hair use it.

Sounds like you need a light oil. I really like using Camelia, but Jojoba is similar. They are lighter and more suitable to your purposes I think. I get my Camelia from Henna Sooq. I love it on my face as well. It doesn't clog pores and keeps my skin from getting dried out during the winter.

Best of luck! Finding which oils are best for your hair is generally just a process of trial and error.
    Last edited by Scarlet_Heart; March 13th, 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added quote for clarification
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Do you have a BBB? I'm pretty sure this is exactly the situtation it's best at helping. It distributes the oils through your hair, so the oily roots won't look so oily because the extra oil has been moved to your dry ends so they're not so dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet_Heart View Post
    If coconut oil is too heavy, then I would think olive oil would be even worse because it's one of the heavier, thicker oils. I think mostly people with very thick and/or curly hair use it.

Sounds like you need a light oil. I really like using Camelia, but Jojoba is similar. They are lighter and more suitable to your purposes I think. I get my Camelia from Henna Sooq. I love it on my face as well. It doesn't clog pores and keeps my skin from getting dried out during the winter.

Best of luck! Finding which oils are best for your hair is generally just a process of trial and error.

Another light oil is rice bran oil. I love olive oil, but did find it a tad bit heavy--it was easy to overdo and repeated oilings ended up making my hair look greasy. So I diluted it 50/50 with rice bran oil and added some EO's, and I really like that mix.

Sweet almond oil is another great light oil that a lot of people use on their hair. I dilute castor oil with it for my scalp, though even though it's lighter I feel like it doesn't absorb quite as well as castor oil on its own... but castor oil is kind of magic about its absorption qualities, so that's understandable.
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

EVOO users,please -Which essential oil complements nicely or completely overpowers the smell of EVOO?

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Well I have similar hair to yours and have had success with coconut oil, but as you have said this is too heavy for you I have also had luck with baby/mineral oil and shea butter. If these are also too heavy for you, you could always try just a regular SMT with a heavy conditioner as opposed to a light one for moisturizing. And if oiling period just doesn't work for you there are no hard and fast rules that say you must oil to have well-moisturized hair.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    EVOO users,please -Which essential oil complements nicely or completely overpowers the smell of EVOO?
    My EVOO/rice bran oil mix has lavender, geranium, wild thyme, and clary sage EO's... it might also have a couple drops of cedarwood. I love the smell of it! The lavender and geranium are the most powerful scents and they're just lovely. I think the thyme and clary sage (which I use less of) tone down the "woah, floral" aspect of the first two by bringing in some earthiness. It doesn't really smell much like olive oil at all anymore, though that subtle scent never really bothered me either. And they're all good for my hair! Bonus: geranium EO is supposed to repel ticks.
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    14"/35"/51"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

For the most part, coconut oil works best for me. It soaks into my hair more quickly than olive oil, and I especially prefer it as a daily leave-in and detangler, olive oil just gets too heavy for that. Occasionally coconut oil will make my ends feel crunchy, and I'll switch to olive oil for my next deep treatment. I have to be really careful to get it all out, though. Even if I only use 1 tbsp warmed up, it seems more like it sits on top of my hair rather than penetrating it, and washing it out is much more difficult than washing out coconut oil.

Back in black, and growing to the bitter end.

APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone ~ Butt ~ Classic

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

When coconut oil gets to be too much (after a while, it will make the ends tangly from the protein) I switch to almond oil. I love both. Haven't really experimented much with olive oil on my hair, but I love it (and almond, and coconut) for my skin. Coconut oil seems to be the best during the harsh desert summers here, also for when I'm at the beach. Keeps the sun and salt from frying my hair.

Length
    buzz/13/23
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Olive oil tends to make my hair greasy and heavy. It's best as a prewash treatment in my opinion

I like coconut oil for daily use.

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Naiadryade View Post
    My EVOO/rice bran oil mix has lavender, geranium, wild thyme, and clary sage EO's... it might also have a couple drops of cedarwood. I love the smell of it! The lavender and geranium are the most powerful scents and they're just lovely. I think the thyme and clary sage (which I use less of) tone down the "woah, floral" aspect of the first two by bringing in some earthiness. It doesn't really smell much like olive oil at all anymore, though that subtle scent never really bothered me either. And they're all good for my hair! Bonus: geranium EO is supposed to repel ticks.
    So basically it's the fresh,crisp and /I call it that because it reminds me of/ citrusy scents that work well with it? Thanks! I'll try and play with it.

ETA: I smell like salad with herbs
    Last edited by LadyCelestina; March 27th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.