Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do women cut their hair off?

Length
    17"/38.5/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Why do women cut their hair off?

Oh yeah, just a wee anecdote: the most major hair cut I got was after I found out I was pregnant for the 3rd time in 3 years (not planned, obviously). I took my golden almost-waist length hair to a salon & cut it to my shoulders. It was NOT pretty & the color looked darker.

Another time, (when I was pregnant with my first) I was going through a difficult pregnancy & had bad acne. For some reason (the hormones) I thought that I would look/feel better as a blonde. So, I colored it at home, and ended up with this weird brassy blonde color that was wrong on so many levels. I ended up covering it with a red-brown shade that I fell in love with.
    You grow girl!

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Depression, needing a change. Wanting a dramatic change because I wasn't happy with how I looked. I'm in one of those moods now - generally the first thing that would go would be my hair (it's easy) but nope, I'm hanging on to my hair now.

The other reason I'd cut my hair is because it'd get to bsl and not grow any further than that. I caused myself false terminal length due to mainly the nasty brush and the blow dryer. I was determined at one point to grow my hair longer and didn't cut for 2 years...my hair was in some sad shape and probably didn't do anything to the length except make it shorter due to breakage.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Length
    15/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

because short hair styles can be really cute and flattering and fun.

because long hair can become damaged and not look very good.

because some women like to follow trends in hairstyles occasionally.

because some women just like to change the way they look.
    "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Benjamin Franklin

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I have cut mine when I was feeling frumpy and needed a change. The thing is, after about a week I realize I cant do anything interesting with it and regret it.

Before LHC I cut it because I didnt know how to deal with it at longer length or put it in updos. I am totally prepared this time and loving it.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    1/1/1
    Type
    1c/M/i

in the case of my wife - sudden dislike of the ends, general need for a change, wrinkle on face (and the hope that shorter hair will fall on face/forehead and cover them), insecurity, the belief that shorter hair is more trendy, shorter hair is "what all women over 40 have", "it is not pretty", higher than ususal level of shed, you name it

Length
    4"/23"/50"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Last time I cut it really short was because I finished school and got a "real" job. It was a huge mistake.

In the past I would bleach it and then after a couple of months I'd chop it all off because I hate the damage bleach causes.

I still get tempted to bleach it sometimes, but I know better now.

Rapunzel Wannabe Robbi Dehlinger's Avatar
    Length
    SHORT/24 in/60 in

Gee! These replies are "all over the place!"

I could not imagine not growing it longer now, ven though it is only shoulder length?

The thought of being a "Old lady" with ultra long hair is something (at least for now) am very much looking forward to!

But I am also encouraged (If that is a proper way of expressing it?) at the number of ladies who HAD long hair, cut it and wanted it back!

How long will it grow? Who knows? Let us see? Maybe I will be the next Diane Witt?

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

The first time I had a drastic cut done, it was because I had sustained a crippling injury to my left hand and couldn't care for my waist-length hair one-handed.

Fast-forward two years, and I shaved my head because I had hopelessly damaged hair due to bleach/dye/heat, grew it out to chin-length, repeated the bleach/dye/abuse cycle for another two years, then I shaved it again to 'start fresh' by getting rid of all the damaged-beyond-hope stuff. I colored and cut and heat-styled my hair just for fun. I accepted the damage as part of the game, and shaving my head didn't bother me - it was, after all, 'just hair' and would grow back

I've never cut my hair due to depression, although I know plenty of women who have. My fiance cut his waist-length hair due to male pattern thinning/balding back in '06.

Length
    10/12/30
    Type
    3c/4a/M/iii

I cut my hair off because it was chemically processed and i wanted to start over healthy.
    In the past I have cut it a few times, mostly due to damage and/or bad coloring

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Happy
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Cool Re: Why do women cut their hair off?

As a child I simply never wore it long. Before the summer I'd have it cut back to a bob; during winter it would grow out to my shoulders. And repeat. My parents considered this the most practical thing for a little girl to do, and I didn't challenge them. Because of this I never had long hair.In high school I grew my hair to just above APL before getting bored and getting a nice cut - again back to a bob, but an A-line. Ever since I'd been maintaining it around that length, straightening its lots because I believed I was a cool kid (the precursor to a scene kid, oh those times...) and really didn't think cool kids had curly hair.
    I've been trying to go longer now for about three years, but incessant straightening and dyeing have asked its toll. The first two years I was only occupied with maintaining the length while getting rid of the old damage and was forced to cut; over the past year doing so finally paid off and I've noticed some great growth. Now at full APL in its dry and curly state, it's the longest I've ever worn it! No clue about my terminal length, no idea how to manage it when it gets longer...but we'll see. I've never really had long hair because of various reasons, but am no longer planning to cut it.