Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Angellen View Post
    I'm the opposite of Darya, it seems. I lather my scalp, work it down my length (not lathering the length specifically), and then later my scalp again only and rinse. I've been using shampoo bars for about 8 months and lathering primarily scalp-only for a little over a month, now. I find that when I lather the length, my hair feels overly dry and even crunchy, but when I do a scalp only, it's much lusher and more manageable. Also, my scalp needs more washing than my length, so...

I don't use conditioner, just a good deal of coconut oil on dry hair. I've just put about 6 or 7 drops on, and my hair feels AMAZING.
    I think I may try lathering the length only once. My hair has been really dry lately, and it's making me nuts.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I just tried a Serpentine shampoo bar tonight. My hair was lightly oiled and not too dirty. Lathered up my scalp 3 times and once on the length as usual and followed by an ACV rinse. I think it's rather moisturizing, probably comparable to some of the more moisturizing CV bars. My hair didn't squeak at all during wash and feels soft and silky during drying. If my scalp seems OK later then I'll keep it in my stash and alternate with the more cleansing ones. I think this bar would be good for someone with dry to normal scalp. As my scalp is a little oily I don't think I can use this too much. My hair sure seems happy, though.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Melian View Post
    ...about lathering the length I find that the most difficult....
    Melian, strangely enough this is not a problem for me anymore. When I started using CV bars I could hardly get any lather on my length. I don´t know if I tweaked my technique or what, but these days the best lather I get is on my length!

My theory is that shampoo bars don´t work as well on damaged hair. My hair has gotten much healthier throughout the time I´ve been using shampoo bars (I´ve been trimming quite a bit), so that might be the reason my length lathers up much better now. Do you have any damage at all?

Oh, and I also lather the scalp one time more than the length, like sapphire-o does. If my hair is really greasy and well-oiled (as it usually is on wash day), then I need to lather twice all over, or else my hair doesn´t get clean. The third time I wash "scalp only".

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    Melian, strangely enough this is not a problem for me anymore. When I started using CV bars I could hardly get any lather on my length. I donīt know if I tweaked my technique or what, but these days the best lather I get is on my length!

My theory is that shampoo bars donīt work as well on damaged hair. My hair has gotten much healthier throughout the time Iīve been using shampoo bars (Iīve been trimming quite a bit), so that might be the reason my length lathers up much better now. Do you have any damage at all?

Oh, and I also lather the scalp one time more than the length, like sapphire-o does. If my hair is really greasy and well-oiled (as it usually is on wash day), then I need to lather twice all over, or else my hair doesnīt get clean. The third time I wash "scalp only".
    This is true for me as well. When I first started using shampoo bars in March, I had a hard time getting a good lather. Now I get a great lather every time! I suspect some of it is due to technique and the fact that we got a shower filter, because I doubt that my length is appreciably less damaged than it was 4 months ago, but who really knows?

I am still having some dryness issues, although I think I figured out that part of the problem was protein. I mean, I still think my workouts were the original trigger, but then I've used the HB&E and Extra HB&E shampoo bars and also did deep treatments with a protein conditioner a couple of times before I realized what a stupid mistake that was. I'm kind of mad at myself for that (if anyone has bright ideas for how to reverse over-proteining more quickly, please PM me).

I have been oiling more and also stretching out my washes a bit longer. However, I think I'm going to start lathering my length only once instead of twice and lathering only my scalp the second time. We'll see if that helps.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    ear/SDL/hip
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Angellen View Post
    I'm the opposite of Darya, it seems. I lather my scalp, work it down my length (not lathering the length specifically), and then later my scalp again only and rinse. I've been using shampoo bars for about 8 months and lathering primarily scalp-only for a little over a month, now. I find that when I lather the length, my hair feels overly dry and even crunchy, but when I do a scalp only, it's much lusher and more manageable. Also, my scalp needs more washing than my length, so...

I don't use conditioner, just a good deal of coconut oil on dry hair. I've just put about 6 or 7 drops on, and my hair feels AMAZING.
    I just wanted to clarify my routine.... I shouldn't write this stuff when I'm half asleep. I don't lather my whole length every wash. If I'm lathering the ends, it's because I got food in it or some such. When I'm doing a "length wash" I usually just lather about to my shoulders/armpits, wash length determined by how greaseball my hair is. I put Giovanni Direct Leave in on about the last foot or so of my hair whenever I get it wet and then mist it daily with a mix of DLO and distilled water. For a full wash, I lather and rinse my scalp and hair about down to chin level, then I can lather well on my scalp and work it down my hair to about shoulder to APL then rinse well, if I've over-done the condish up near my neck I sometimes have to lather that twice but not always. I finish with a WV rinse then a cool water rinse. I condition the end length before any wash and then again afterward. I have incredibly hard water and live in a very dry climate so this would leave my hair very weird when I travel but it's awesome when I'm here. If I'm washing with soft water, like while on vacation - I usually have to lather just once total.

lawyermom - I think whether or not you need an acidic rinse following each wash is determined by your hair and your water - trial and error is probably the only way you'll find out.

Hope that somewhat helps
    Re-growing my hair...after huge chop from calf length
    Currently at shoulders...

Length
    13.5/15/BSL
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I am going to give the CV bars another try -- am going to order a few more sample bars -- I remember using them awhile back and liking them, but never ordered more -- I'll keep you all posted as to what I order and my results!

Length
    13.5/15/BSL
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Here is what I ordered:

Cucumber Lime Soap sample
    Carrot Milk and Honey Shampoo sample
    Chamomile Citrus Shampoo sample
    Nettle Shampoo sample

Can't wait to try them out!

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I still don't understand how someone can get dry hair from working out and sweating. I know something was said about salt combating... alkalai... or something... But whenever I work out, or just get hot where I am, I have stringy clumpiness at the first 3 inches of hair and a smelly scalp. Also get more sebum buildup that I can get in my nails with a tiny bit of scratching. I have to wash sooner.

Again with inconsistent results, but I think I'm getting the hang of it... I washed with Summer Sunshine again just to be fair because I was thinking about sticking it on the swap board. I lathered twice, then finished the ends with chamomile calendula. I've got nice soft hair today, LOTS of body, good shine, and no gooey waxy areas. Last time I shampooed with a bar (I forget which one...MAYBE cham citrus) and finished with the babassu marshmallow sliver I had left. I think my key will be to alternate a drying bar and a moisturizing bar to get consistent results, from what I'm seeing.

Account Closed by Member Request

Oskimosa, I have never ever smelled my scalp in my entire life. I mean, my nose is so far away from my scalp it would have to be really stinky in order to smell it. I do get sebum-y smelling hair, though, after a few days, but I wouldn´t call that stinky.

For me it is quite true that I can go longer between washes if I work out regularly. My theory is that it is the salt, but who knows? At least one other member (aisling) also found this to be true.

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

Thanks Darya I figured that was probably the case, but wanted to make sure there wasn't any obvious "rule" against using ACV every day.

I tried CV Herb Garden this morning. My hair is much better than it was yesterday (which in turn was much better than pre-LHC days), when I used Giovanni 50/50, but it wasn't as nice as it was with the chamomile/citrus bar. I have 2? 3? more samples on order. I think I'm going to stick with the bars for awhile