Thread: Hair jealousy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    19/25.5/33
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hair jealousy?

I get hair jealously quite often as my daughter has a lovely long, thick head of hair (though she seems determined to heat damage it!) but then I remember that she must have gotten her awesome hair genes from me!

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Add me to the not jealous about length but envious about thickness list- I'd never want to deprive anyone else of their awesomeness, but I have friends who's fairytailed ends in a braid are thicker than my ponytail.

My brother actually has the hair I want, it's my color, my waves but thicker- le sigh!

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

*sigh* I wish I could say no, but I live in an area where it's pretty common to see waist+ hair on ladies and occasionally men. I think I mostly get jealous because I think to myself "if I had just taken better care of it, or cut off the damage, I could probably be around hip length by now". Oh well. I'm growing now. It'll get there.
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Length
    14"/35"/51"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Lately I get that when I see people with lovely, thick blunt ends. I have to remind myself that I'll have that, too, with time and microtrims.

Back in black, and growing to the bitter end.

APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone ~ Butt ~ Classic

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I get jealous of SO. MANY. PEOPLE. I'm Filipino-American and I have really thick, matte-black, borderline-wavy hair.

This is not as nice as it sounds. At least not when I'm having a bad hair day.

-Red/blonde hair. I envy people with lighter hair in general because NOTHING SHOWS UP ON BLACK HAIR, and it often doesn't photograph well. My pictures here are usually the third or fourth try. Styling black hair is very limited because as much as I'd like to do so, I can't spend hours tweaking every awesome Pinterest style simply to make it work on me. I envy people with naturally red/blonde hair in particular because 1) red is my favorite color, and 2) I love all the little variations of color in the two spectrums.

-Proper waves/curls. My hair is technically around 2a/b if it's just washed and set with braid-waves, but practically it's more 1c/2a because my waves very easily relax. Often into frizz. I wish my waves were more resilient, because I really want the 2b part to last longer.

-Straight hair. I live in California where there's a very high Asian population. BIG SPOILER: A lot of us straighten our hair. Heck, I straightened my hair throughout high school. We have the "STRAIGHT HAIR" cultural ideal drilled into us even more than Caucasian women. Naturally straight hair is just so luscious and sleek, plus it's easier to handle than wavy hair. It makes me fight the urge to bust out the hair-dryer again.

-Shiny hair. My hair is black, but it's not a shiny blue-black like the (East) Asian ideal. It's just normal "black with a little bit of brown/red tones," and eighty-percent of Asians have it. I like my hair COLOR, but seeing someone with naturally shiny hair? Especially shiny BLACK hair? I WANT IT.
    Last edited by Sharysa; November 6th, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sharysa View Post
    -Red/blonde hair. I envy people with lighter hair in general because NOTHING SHOWS UP ON BLACK HAIR, and it often doesn't photograph well. My pictures here are usually the third or fourth try. Styling black hair is very limited because as much as I'd like to do so, I can't spend hours tweaking every awesome Pinterest style simply to make it work on me. I envy people with naturally red/blonde hair in particular because 1) red is my favorite color, and 2) I love all the little variations of color in the two spectrums.
    I totally feel you on this one. I also have black hair, and though mine is a little shiny, you can never see things like accent braids in my hair unless you're standing right in from of me. I never bother with things like accent braids. And photographing it is sooo hard. If the lighting isn't just right, it looks flat black like a silhouette or shadow.

The silver lining for me is that I don't have to worry about the color of my hair clashing with my clothes or hair toys. Which is good since I'm not all that great at putting colors together.
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Type
    1b/F/i

I envy those with thick Botticelli curls. Red, thick Botticelli curls make me want to crawl in a hole and hide my see-through hair. I guess that's more sadness than envy. I'm growing now but have never in my life had even BSL hair. I may be able to get that with patience but I'm not going to get the Botticelli curls until the day after I get my pet unicorn. Unless, of course, I go buy a wig :/
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    12/28/32
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by lunasea View Post
    I envy those with thick Botticelli curls. Red, thick Botticelli curls make me want to crawl in a hole and hide my see-through hair. I guess that's more sadness than envy. I'm growing now but have never in my life had even BSL hair. I may be able to get that with patience but I'm not going to get the Botticelli curls until the day after I get my pet unicorn. Unless, of course, I go buy a wig :/
    I agree with every word, Lunasea. Love the botticelli curls and am filled with a sad envy when I see such a gorgeous head of hair. I am 61 and growing my skinny hair for the first time in my life. Not a good age to wear scraped back hair! But still I persevere. Even though the growth is soooo slow that it sometimes feels it's going backward, it's all new territory for me and I'm glad to be even at this length (but if the hair fairy is listening, some extra thickness would be very welcome thank you)

Length
    12/28/45
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
    I agree with every word, Lunasea. Love the botticelli curls and am filled with a sad envy when I see such a gorgeous head of hair. I am 61 and growing my skinny hair for the first time in my life. Not a good age to wear scraped back hair! But still I persevere. Even though the growth is soooo slow that it sometimes feels it's going backward, it's all new territory for me and I'm glad to be even at this length (but if the hair fairy is listening, some extra thickness would be very welcome thank you)
    Not true. Mature women can look awesome with scraped back hair if it's done right like fashioista Carolina Herrera. I too agree with Lunasea about the Botticelli babes. I also envy the PreRaphaelite models. And, I wish for my own classic length back in good health. I don't get jealous or I'd never be able to stand it here with all these gorgeous heads of hair. I'm challenged, I adjust and I learn. And, I hope my hair gets the message.

Length
    36/23/39

Hi! I am not new to the forum but lost my info and it's been many years since my login. I am so glad to be back, but more on that later.

I don't get irrationally jealous of others' hair so much as my former hair. I have had shorter hair for about 5 years now. I've tried it all and am now growing it out. I need to measure and update my profile, but it's just under shoulder length with a longer angle toward the front.

I feel sick when I look at my older photos. My hair was so gorgeous, I don't know what I was thinking. I have since vowed not to touch it in the way of any major cuts, etc. I am growing this stuff out for good!

And as far as jealousy of others hair, I do get jealous, just not irrationally. It actually inspires me to work harder with mine!