Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 8749

Thread: The Archives: The Merged NW/SO/WO Thread

Length
    24/Pixie/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Hi guys

The denman I have is the D3 that the link was posted for. I find that a BBB does not work on my hair (maybe I just do not have the patience to sit and do each layer by itself) and this denman is a dream. I start by brushing from the ends and work my way up to the roots so that it is totally detangled and then brush and brush after I have scritched and massaged.

I gave in Saturday and did a WO (more of a water soak - lay down in a bathful of clean water and rubbed the scalp till it felt better) as I just ran out of patience trying to work that sebum down. Did a vinegar final rinse to combat the hard water in my area. My scalp looks and feels better (no more flakes) and the excess sebum is gone and the ends feel better moisturised aswell. Back to NW and I am loving my hair again.

I really do find with WO / NW my hair dries much faster than in the past with conventional washing routines.
    I still love the idea of long hair, but really enjoying my all natural pixie. Contemplating growing to layered bsl & strawberry blond with cassia & henna.

Length
    BSL/54 in/60 in
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: (Official) Water Only Thread

Hi all! Newbie here . . . also new convert to the WO method. Right now I am still using some conditioner on the length, but that will stop as soon as the oil coats my hair completely.

Q: Do you have any tips for speeding up the process? My hair is very long and very thick. I am currently only finger combing/preening. Thanks!

God bless,

~Ruth

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RuthieAnne View Post
    Hi all! Newbie here . . . also new convert to the WO method. Right now I am still using some conditioner on the length, but that will stop as soon as the oil coats my hair completely.

Q: Do you have any tips for speeding up the process? My hair is very long and very thick. I am currently only finger combing/preening. Thanks!

God bless,

~Ruth
    If you want the oil to coat your hair completely, you probably shouldn't be using conditioner, because conditioner will take the oil off.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    23/30/41
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I'm now on Day 13 of WO. I'm massaging and scritching and brushing with BBB at least once and sometimes - if I'm not too lazy before going to bed - twice a day. My hairs is looking greasy but it's nowhere near as bad as I expected. To be honest, it's no worse than after 5 days of no washing. I had hope that my transition wouldn't be too bad, because I only used natural shampoo twice a week for at least a year before switching to WO, but maybe the really yucky phase is still to come! In Week 1 of WO, I water rinsed twice. This week I have't rinsed at all because 1) my hairs not all that bad, 2) I had the feeling that my ends were dry after rinsing in Week 1 and I hardly ever have dry ends, and 3) I'm hoping it'll speed up the transition process if I don't water wash to often. We'll see how it goes.

When I brush with my BBB there's no gray gunky stuff like so many people have reported, just loads of dust. But like I said, maybe the gunk is still on its way. What do you guys think - was your hair similar to my description after 2 weeks of WO?

ruthieanne: I wouldn't use conditioner either. Do you have a boar bristle brush? I find that it's great at moving the sebum down to the length of my hair and it feels far nicer than it ever did with conditioner. Your hair's longer and thicker than mine but maybe a BBB would work for you too?

Length
    23/30/41
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

I'm currently doing WO and am on Day 13. However, after water washing twice in Week 1, I found that my ends were quite dry and I never really have dry ends. This week I haven't rinsed at all, so who knows whether I might end up NW/SO after all! My plan ist to water rinse whenever I feel the need to and after the "transition phase", I'll decide whether to keep going with the WO routine or to try NW/SO. I have hard water so that's probably not going to help with the whole WO thing. We'll see how it goes. In any case, I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread!

Length
    21/32/40
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Feli - I had a gunk-less first week and then the gunk arrived with a vengeance about two weeks/ten days ago. It is now receding but still present. I found that the waxiness hit about 36 hours after washing and would take 2-3 days to brush out. And then I'd need to wash again in any case. But now it's a much lighter covering which I'm happy to leave - I hardly use my BBB at all.
    My point is that I think you might hit the gunk-stage later on, but it might not last too long if you do.

Ruthieanne - I use Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream (recipe here) the night before I wash, which has some conditioner in, and I find that washes out to leave the ends lovely and soft.

Length
    23/23/35
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I never had a gunk phase and I'm a month in.
    I haven't really had a transition of any kind. One hard water shower left my hair oily, but other than that, it's been pretty smooth.

However, I do have naturally very very dry hair and produce very little oil in general.

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feli View Post
    When I brush with my BBB there's no gray gunky stuff like so many people have reported, just loads of dust.
    What you think is dust might actually be the waxies. I know mine looks like dust because it's so small. Or maybe mine is actually dust, but I don't think so.
    I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    -Psalm 139:14

Length
    APL/hip?/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I don't remember having a gunk phase before. Being really oily and having dust in my hair, yes. Now, however, I have to remember to clean my comb every other time I use it or gunk starts to appear.

Length
    1feet/3feet/3feet
    Type
    4b/F/M/i

this is some great information. I'm gonna have to try this very soon