Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does hair have to be before it is considered long?

Length
    ShL/WL!!!/Clas.
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: How long does hair have to be before it is considered long?

Quote Originally Posted by Euphony View Post
    For me personally on me, anything longer than my hair currently (whenever that is) is long...in other words my hair may never be 'long' to me.
    That, exactly.
    CaraLynn
    For He's more than just my Saviour, He's my best friend forever, He's the light that's in my soul.

Length
    12/18/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Very interesting thread. I agree that it is a matter of perspective. I've had short hair for most of my life, so right now, my hair feels long. Co-workers have commented on how long my hair is getting and mind you it hasn't reached BSL yet.

In the area of New England where I live, most women have shorter length hair, so shoulder length hair is considered long. It's pretty unusual to see someone my age (48 ) with the length I have right now. I still plan to let my hair grow longer. I really don't care what people think.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

When my hair gets a little longer than apl I start thinking of it as long.

When I see someone with waist-length hair, I consider it long.

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

For me, my hair will be long when one day I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt, and my hair brushes my own arm and spooks me. I'm naturally a jumpy person, so it might not even need to be elbow (waist) length.

This also happens to be my long hair goal, only about 30 inches to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I think to say that one's hair must be bsl or waist or whatever before it can be considered 'long' is hurtful and discouraging to others. Anyone who's hair touches their back and shoulders has 'long hair.'

(I have always had hair much longer than that, so that's not why I say this.)

Each individual may feel dissatisfied with the length of their own hair until they reach some far-off target length, but that does not mean they don't already have 'long hair.' I would never tell someone their hair is not 'long', nor would I judge their hair as 'not long' in my own mind because I think that the term 'long hair' is exclusive to those who can grow their hair to some quite long length. We can become such snobs about hair on a board such as this one.

Sorry if I sound irritated, but I guess I am a little. I hate to see women discouraged by the snobbery of other women. For many it can be like holding the carrot on a stick in front of the poor donkey. Almost anyone can have 'long hair.' Let's don't make it harder than it is.
    What she said, except the part about always having had 'hair much longer than that'.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Really when you think of it, it depends on the gender too. Like men are considered to have long hair when it reaches shoulders this probably because its more unusual to see men with long hair, yet its more common for women to grow their hair so we tend to think of long on a woman as waist.

But then again is hair long when its a certain number on a tape or is it considered long when it needs to be worn up because its irritating to be blowing in your face all the time and not just worn up because you can?
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    28/45/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

I myself consider long hair hip length. I really don't consider APL or BS 'long'...but thats just me.
    * Ann @ Last.FM * Hair Journal *
    I'm past goal, I don't know what I'm doing now.

Length
    10/15/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I have had hair till my tb before so anything longer than that would be great length achieved...

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Unlike society, I wouldn't call anything shorter than waist "long." It would have to be closer to around hips for me to honestly consider it long.