Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hairstyles suitable for sports?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Hairstyles suitable for sports?

I usually braid my hair (french, dutch or simple english braid) when I work out. I do bodypump and such, so buns at the back of my head will not allow me to lie on the bench. sometimes I do a ponytail low on the nape and lift it out of the way when I'm putting the bar on my shoulders for squats etc.

when I run or dance, I braid it very tightly - I once stupidly enough did a ponytail for a dance class and while it was very cool to have my hair whipping about with head turns etc, the tangles were INSANE. same with running.

Quote Originally Posted by vampodrama View Post
    I once stupidly enough did a ponytail for a dance class and while it was very cool to have my hair whipping about with head turns etc, the tangles were INSANE. same with running.
    Hah! For a while I was wearing a ponytail for swing dance, but one time I was helping out with a class and the teacher was demonstrating a move called a toss-across, where the leader passes the follower back and forth in front of him several times. With each pass my hair, which had gotten pretty long by then, whipped him in the face. When he finally said, "That thing's dangerous!" (fortunately with a smile on his face), I knew it was time to do something else with the hair.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RedStripe View Post
    Hah! For a while I was wearing a ponytail for swing dance, but one time I was helping out with a class and the teacher was demonstrating a move called a toss-across, where the leader passes the follower back and forth in front of him several times. With each pass my hair, which had gotten pretty long by then, whipped him in the face. When he finally said, "That thing's dangerous!" (fortunately with a smile on his face), I knew it was time to do something else with the hair.
    yeah, I know what you mean - I did competitive ballroom dancing as a child and back then the rule was TIGHT BUNS. no loose hair anywhere. to put the girls into submission, we were told horror stories of boys who had been blinded by their partner's hair whipping over their faces and cutting their eyeballs in half... urban legends mostly, but for pre-teen girls those worked well. not a strand of hair was loose in the competitive dancing world in the 80ies.

nordic hennahead

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I was also going to suggest the EZ bun also or something similar that one you can get at Claires that wraps your hair into a bun.
    Also I think the africa butterfly holds really well and securely or the hairzing.
    Would clippies work? If you braid and bun and secure with little clippies. That always holds tight for me.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I agree with Physicschick -- hairscroos hold a bun well, and are really unlikely to fall out. However, you still wouldn't want to land on them.

If you need to stick with soft hair accessories, you always go with buns held by scrunchies, and you could braid that ponytail, which will definitely cut down on the tangles and takes less time than a french braid might.

I find braided pigtails nice for weight lifting, because I can move them to the front or back of my shoulders as needed, and they don't leave any bulk on the back of my head.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    WL/TBL+/TBL++
    Type
    3c/M/iii

I have the same problem, and i only braid my hair. its so boring.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Vaulting is a really amazing sport. Problem is, you can't really use anything solid. I think a scrunchie bun might be best, but I'm not sure how it will hold if you are doing flips etc.

My thinking is a french braid and pull the tail up behind the portion that is against your scalp and secure with a strong barrette or even do it like you do a horse's tail....braid in some wool the same color as your hair, pull through and tie/knot. This will definitly stay secure when you are doing leaps etc.

I have the utmost admiration for those who do vaulting. Not an easy sport!
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    Since it's not a contact sport, could you get away with using hair scroos to bun your hair? They screw into the hair, so they don't come out very easily (unlike pins).
    I would recommend trying these, too. You can get them on ebay - just search for hair scroos.
    I teach an athletic dance form that's a fusion of bollywood, hip hop, and bellydance, and I cannot have any hair loose, wobbly, or any hair toys that can fly out. This is my no-fail do - a figure 8 near the crown of my head (so it doesn't get in the way when we're on the floor doing crunches or whatnot) secured with 2 or 3 scroos.
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

For horse back, I do a braid secured at top and bottom, or my new style is the multi-band ponytail. Everything else I have tried has NOT worked with a helmet.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I weight train pretty seriously, and I HATE having to worry about my hair. Since I'm also shedding a good bit lately, I don't like anything that 'tugs' at my scalp at all. What I like to do is wear a scarf that contains all my hair, kind of Turkish style. I hold my hair in a lose scrunchie bun before putting the scarf over my head; I shape the scarf (a big rectangle of silk) in a triangle, with the short point behind my head... twist the side points of the triangle at either side of my head and cross them behind my head, then pull them up and over just behind my hairline and tie off to the side (if that makes sense) Stays put great for me, and no tugging!