Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Oily Hair Problems

Length
    18"/34"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Oily Hair Problems

Ok so I'm reporting back. Being extra diligent with shampooing the back crown of my head has helped. I actually use a hair-dye distribution bottle with some watered-down dandruff shampoo to hit those areas after I use the shampoo bar.

Those patches are still the first to get oily but it is much better
    Thinking Long Hair Thoughts

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I've never been able to find an oil that doesn't upset my scalp, lol. Water-based products seem okay, though. I have an oily scalp, but I also have health issues that make me prone to dehydrated skin. I find that daily scalp washing with shampoo plus a water-based hydrator afterward has been helpful!

Last year I tried to get away from shampooing daily/tried stretching washes, and I lost a lot of hair. I had no idea what was causing it. I went back to daily scalp shampooing, and my shedding is back to normal levels. I'm even getting some baby hairs, yay!

Length
    19/20/37
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I have a similar problem. My hair is so quick to get greasy, that if I shower in the evening, by the next morning, it will be unbearably and noticeably greasy. I've cried from frustration many times about it lol! I even tried water only washing with soft water for a whole year in 2019! With blunt bangs! And honestly...I never really experienced the total normalization of oil production from the scalp that people talk about. I had surgery, and so had to stop because I couldn't preen and maintain my sebum anymore. When I went back to shampoo and conditioner I realized that I just feel that I "need" to wash every other day, or every 3rd day max. And no, I've never found a dry shampoo that works for me unfortunately, they always make my hair more noticeably oily, rather than reducing the oil. Even plain cornstarch. I also tend to get an itchy scalp if I get lazy and stretch my washes longer than 3 days. Also, I move around and sweat a lot.

I was finally satisfied with my hair when I stopped trying to be the boss of it, and just did what it was telling me to do; wash it more. I started to wash it more often, and then based my haircare around that. Water and shampoo is the only thing that actually refreshes my hair. So I oil the evening before with jojoba (a very light oil that has never been "too much" for me), wash in the morning so it will be fresh when I am in public, cwc, and then I add a light cream oil leave in, and then I enjoy my hair. My scalp is healthy, not itchy, and my growth is good, usually a little above average. Sometimes I will do a caffeine rinse if I sleep in til noon and then shower later in the day than usual. This last month, I had an inch and a half growth spurt. Imo, stretching washes is not for everyone, and can just frustrate some people who are super oily.

I do wish I could stretch longer out of sheer laziness, but alas, I can't seem to, and have my hair look nice. If it felt like it did when I was stretching, I'd just want to cut it off, I was very uncomfortable with it. So my advice is, don't feel that you have to do what other people are doing if it doesn't work for you to stretch your washes. Experiment, and maybe frequent washing can be an opportunity for your to do more conditioning of your hair.

Length
    MBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfNoot View Post
    Ok so I'm reporting back. Being extra diligent with shampooing the back crown of my head has helped. I actually use a hair-dye distribution bottle with some watered-down dandruff shampoo to hit those areas after I use the shampoo bar.

Those patches are still the first to get oily but it is much better
    I'm so pleased to hear!