Thread: Simple Ingredients over Product Formulas?

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Simple Ingredients over Product Formulas?

I tend to use very simple ingredients and homemade items in my skincare and haircare. This is more affordable and higher quality imo. For example, I make my own makeup remover with whipped rose water, beeswax and almond oil instead of buying a product with tons of ingredients. I also make my own herbal oils instead of using facial moisturizers. Same goes for haircare in the ways I am able. I used to use make a shikakai paste to wash my hair when it was shorter. Now I really need more conventional shampoo and conditioner for detangling. (I'm using the Simple Truth brand tea tree shampoo and coconut oil conditioner at present) I still only use plain castor oil instead of hair masks because it seems to work just as well or better than the formulas I've tried from the store.

I'm curious what thoughts the long hair community may have about product formulas and if they're really better than simple recipes or single ingredients you can make yourself?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Simple Ingredients over Product Formulas?

I use both single ingredients, homemade products and bought.

Just oil enought isn't enough for my dry face or skin. So I use oil (preferably evening primrose oil) followed up by a bought face cream. Sometimes I also apply some salve on top of this. When I wear make up I use an oil to remove it and have been doing so for ten uears or so.

For my hair I've made my own product for cleaning and conditioning, but it was so much work. Now I make my own hair mask and then use bought conditioners to wash my hair. I can use a simple oil and aloe vera gel in my hair between washes, but I really like the simplicity of bying from NightBlooming and the smell of Melissas detangler, misters and oils.

For me I prefer more "natural" products as my hair and skin hates a lot of ingredients, such as mineral oils and silicones. But there are good products out there too now, if you don't want to make everything yourself.

My hair and skin is dry and demanding. So I don't get away with using one or two ingredints such as one oil. Perhaps during a warm and damp summer, but not during the winter.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I use both. For my skin I'll use coconut oil after showering to seal in moisture but won't take chances experimenting with my own concoctions when it comes to sun protection so will use conventional sunscreen. I don't wear makeup. For my hair, I like to experiment because it's fun and interesting. I've tried lots of homemade recipes for rinses, shampoos, masks etc but lately I've been using a conventional shampoo and conditioner (they're cheap, convenient, effective, and smell nice). My shampoo just ran out so I'm taking the opportunity to try some single ingredient/homemade alternatives to that, hopefully ones that will be of more benefit to my hair than simply cleaning it.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    24/40/50
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I prefer to make as many of my own hair products, such as shampoo/conditioner and hair masks, as possible. But I am also in college, and I usually end up buying a lot of these products to save time. Whenever I have time, though, I like to make my own since my hair and skin seem to like simpler ingredients. I think homemade products can work just as well as store-bought ones if your skin and hair are happy with them. There are also some good mostly natural products for sale that can help when time is limited.

Curious if anyone makes their own detangler?

Length
    20"/39"/50"
    Type
    4b/4c/F/M/iii

My skin does better the less I do to it. I really just use a plain Castile soap bar to clean all the parts of my body that get sweaty and gross and then I use colloidal oatmeal to wash the rest of me. I use to just use water but then I would get a build up of dead skin. Now I use the oatmeal to exfoliate and it's a natural cleanser. It's what I use on my scalp and hair as well. I also use coconut oil and Shea butter after I shower.
    I mostly just use water on my face but sometimes I use the oatmeal if I feel like I have dead skin or dirt on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by bushkin View Post
    Curious if anyone makes their own detangler?
    I make a detangler/conditioner that I use in the shower when I finger detangle. It uses oatmeal as the base. Lol. I've found that if I heat oatmeal (or colloidal oatmeal) and water on the stove until I get a gel, I can add melted oils and butters and mix it really well and have a temporary emulsion. I add Shea butter, coconut oil (sometimes I use olive instead) and sometimes glycerin. It's heavy but I need that coating on my hair to reduce friction and tangling. And if I use this to wash/detangle my hair then I don't need to add anything to my hair afterwards.
    Something else I used to use, especially in the summer, was a mix of coconut milk and fresh aloe vera gel. That had a lot of slip too. I do all my detangling in the shower though so I need heavy conditioners for detangling.

You are the queen of oats! I haven't made colloidal oatmeal before but I think I'll try it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy-Fairy View Post
    My skin does better the less I do to it. I really just use a plain Castile soap bar to clean all the parts of my body that get sweaty and gross and then I use colloidal oatmeal to wash the rest of me. I use to just use water but then I would get a build up of dead skin. Now I use the oatmeal to exfoliate and it's a natural cleanser. It's what I use on my scalp and hair as well. I also use coconut oil and Shea butter after I shower.
    I mostly just use water on my face but sometimes I use the oatmeal if I feel like I have dead skin or dirt on my face.

I make a detangler/conditioner that I use in the shower when I finger detangle. It uses oatmeal as the base. Lol. I've found that if I heat oatmeal (or colloidal oatmeal) and water on the stove until I get a gel, I can add melted oils and butters and mix it really well and have a temporary emulsion. I add Shea butter, coconut oil (sometimes I use olive instead) and sometimes glycerin. It's heavy but I need that coating on my hair to reduce friction and tangling. And if I use this to wash/detangle my hair then I don't need to add anything to my hair afterwards.
    Something else I used to use, especially in the summer, was a mix of coconut milk and fresh aloe vera gel. That had a lot of slip too. I do all my detangling in the shower though so I need heavy conditioners for detangling.
    See my comment above! I'm still learning how to msg board

Length
    20"/39"/50"
    Type
    4b/4c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bushkin View Post
    See my comment above! I'm still learning how to msg board
    You're good. I'm learning myself. Glad I could help!