Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your hair look darker when it's at its healthiest?

Default Re: Does your hair look darker when it's at its healthiest?

Thank you for your answers, this is interesting to hear! And I don't think this is bad in anyway, dark is my haircolour. I mean the one that suits me and makes me look best. I believe natural haircolour suits everyone. I was blond for one year when I was young, and getting it dark brown was like coming back home again.

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Nope, it just looks darker when it has oil in it. If anything my hair looks lighter when it's healthy because the light reflects off it more.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    waist/TB/long

Yes, hair looks darker when healthy, except for my niece who has naturally platinum blonde hair, almost white. Hers always looks the same.
    Last edited by Deborah; November 24th, 2023 at 10:54 AM.

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Yes, my hair is much darker when it's healthy.

Lightness comes with uv damage and dryness

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    I have heard some stylists state that properly moisturised hair is darker than dry hair.
    I've heard the same about properly moisturized hair appearing darker. It seems like keeping our hair hydrated is not only good for its health but also for maintaining a rich color.

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/HL/Class
    Type
    2c/M/ii

No I would not say so.
    My hair is a little darker when I applied some oil, and maybe a tiny bit lighter when it is drier.
    However, this only happens to the tips, not to the lengths or the roots.
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

I haven't noticed anything like that. My hair looks darker when it needs to be washed (oily and looks wet), but that's it. (And my hair doesn't need to be any more dark, so I'm fine with that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefcerka View Post
    I suppose so. Not at the roots, those are usually a uniform color for me (mousy brown), but I noticed that my length in the old pictures (20 years ago) was much lighter - I never used any conditioner back then and I had a ton of split ends, so from ears down, I had almost a blonde color (not from dye, no dye). Nowadays, with proper haircare, the natural color of my length matches the color of my roots, there is very little to none lightening towards the ends.
    That could also just be time, though. My hair is much darker than it was 20 years ago, which was much darker than it was 20 years before that.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

I’ll echo what other fair hairies have said. My hair sun bleaches very easily, so it is healthier on the underside where it is darker, and has less sun exposure due to the thickness of my hair. It doesn’t really change much how my hair behaves, the waves straighten out faster on the crown hairs is mostly all I notice
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

In Chinese social media, the quickest way to fake healthy hair is to dye it black so as to hide the frizzy, damaged, and bleached bits, and immediately the whole auro changes. And since 90% of the population has default very dark hair roots, it is easier for someone to continue/resume their long hair journey this way without trimming.
    I’ve used a lot of henna oil and it virtually looks no difference on my hair unless it’s under direct sunlight, then it shows a tiny bit of orange hue.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; November 28th, 2023 at 01:27 AM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]