Thread: Using henna/indigo/cassia to color correct unwanted shades especially green/yellow

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Question Using henna/indigo/cassia to color correct unwanted shades especially green/yellow

Hey, just curious if anyone has used henna, indigo or cassia or a mix of those as a tint to color correct hair that has unwanted tones?

I used a semi-permanent orange shade over the summer and it stained my hair, leaving an unwanted yellow tint all over my hair. With my ashy dark blonde natural color, it just looks wrong and weird. I then made a further mistakse of trying to tint it with other semipermanents, color masks and silver shampoo. And then somehow I ended up with definite GREEN shade to my length. It's all very muddy and horrible. Then I was thinking off putting on some reddish semiperm/colormask to counterbalance the green but I think I'd just dig a deeper hole for myself because the semiperms really rarely look very natural on my hair. Like the reds are too cold or too yellow and I am afraid of more staining and fear I'll get like forever stained muddy hair.

Sooo...i know i can go horribly wrong with plant dyes as well, which is why I am doing some research (for once!) before trying it myself. Have any of you done anything like this, and if so, how did you do it and did it work?

Any experiences on tinting greenish or yellowish tones with henna or mix of henna and other plant dyes? To add to the insult, I don't want RED or orange hair, I would ideally like a sort of neutral dark blonde or light brown shade. Maybe even a light chocolate or chestnut, so a little warmth is ok.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Using henna/indigo/cassia to color correct unwanted shades especially green/yello

You can use cassia, henn and indigo for a dark blonde or light brown but I would try it on a strand of hair first.
    SHAVED june 2020 ~ MBL ~ goal WL
    On the floating, shapeless oceans
    I did all my best to smile

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Using henna/indigo/cassia to color correct unwanted shades especially green/yello

I would.try just henna and cassia. You don't need more blue. You need reddish or orangeish to counteract the green.

Length
    &&/APL/Tail
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Strand test, definitely!!

Henna isn't for you if you don't like orange; it tends to overpower most other dyes / colours, and outlasts them all.

After 7,5 years of silvering dreadlocks, back to loose, fine, straightish hair.
    Fresh Hennahead and loving the red!

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I don't have much experience with henna, but I have been in a very similar situation several times. My natural hair is rather ashy, and dyed hair always ends up looking too warm and saturated in comparison. I have tried so many things to fix it, and honestly, most of the times I've just ended up making things worse for myself, either because of damage, too dark hair dye, the colour seeping into my natural hair instead of just affecting my already dyed hair, too green, too warm... you name it.

If orange is a no-go for you, I would be very careful with henna. Henna is red pigment, after all. If you want to try that route (it might work, I'm not saying it definitely won't!), I urge you to strand test prior to putting it on your head! Mixing with cassia for a less intense red pigment might be worth trying, too. But as far as I'm aware, henna tends to flare red even with dark, ashy colours underneath, so if that's an issue for you, henna might not be the best option.

You could try regular toners, whether it's peroxide-based (low volume!!) or deposit only. From my (admittedly limited) knowledge, I think that would be your best bet... Along with trying to fade the pigment that's already there as much as possible, if you haven't already. Head n shoulders, even dish soap and baking soda has been known to work for some people. Not ideal for hair health, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do.

Are you looking to continue colouring your hair, or do you want to grow out your natural? If you want to grow out, I would recommend being extremely careful about getting any peroxide-based dye on your virgin hair. I have had diluted 10 vol developer lift my natural hair in a very short time, setting back my progress a lot. If I could go back in time and give myself some advice regarding the growout process, it would be to stop trying to fix the dyed colour and accept that it won't be 100% perfect. I understand the need to have a colour that you can live with, but I would recommend being very careful so that you don't end up making things worse.
    CBL - APL - MBL - WL - HL - BCL - TBL - CL - FTL
    They don't know I used to sail the deep and tranquil sea