Thread: Scalp Scrub Recipes?

Length
    27.5/30/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Scalp Scrub Recipes?

I've recently realized that I massively benefit from a good scalp scrub. (Especially after trying water only for about six weeks only to find that my humid environment, plus daily washing of my wood-handled boar-bristle brush, caused mold on the brush YUCK.)

I just mixed some pink salt into my scalp after lathering up a natural shampoo brand to get a good exfoliation, but I've heard sugar is more gentle than salt. I'm curious if anyone has favorite recipes?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Scalp Scrub Recipes?

I find powdered herbs are great. One recipe that I really like is combining henna, shikakai, amla and neem (powder, not the oil) mixing in boiled but not boiling water to form a paste then letting that cool down. Then I add essential oils like peppermint, tea tree etc and mist my hair with some green tea so it's damp and apply the paste to my scalp and length in sections making sure the scalp is covered in it. Then I leave it about 45 mins and shampoo out. The herb powder scrubs the scalp as you massage it, exfoliating it nicely.

Oh I would say, that recipe probably isn't a great idea for light haired people because of the henna but really in terms of herb choice it doesn't matter much as the action is mechanical rather than chemical so just choose herbs that appeal to your preferences, same with essential oils, although I do find a fresh minty tingle goes well with the exfoliating deep clean vibe.

Sugar tends to be smaller, more regularly-sized crystals than salt, so it isn't quite as abrasive. However, it might cause more problems for those who have skin conditions as sugar tends to be good food for lots of bacteria, though I can't attest to it personally. I like giving my scalp a good scritch with either fingers or a tangle-teaser style brush, and when it feels necessary, pair one of my more cleansing shampoos with a small palmful of salt.

Length
    27.5/30/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    I find powdered herbs are great. One recipe that I really like is combining henna, shikakai, amla and neem (powder, not the oil) mixing in boiled but not boiling water to form a paste then letting that cool down. Then I add essential oils like peppermint, tea tree etc and mist my hair with some green tea so it's damp and apply the paste to my scalp and length in sections making sure the scalp is covered in it. Then I leave it about 45 mins and shampoo out. The herb powder scrubs the scalp as you massage it, exfoliating it nicely.

Oh I would say, that recipe probably isn't a great idea for light haired people because of the henna but really in terms of herb choice it doesn't matter much as the action is mechanical rather than chemical so just choose herbs that appeal to your preferences, same with essential oils, although I do find a fresh minty tingle goes well with the exfoliating deep clean vibe.
    Incredible! I'm a big fan of herbs, and hadn't considered using them in that way before, thank you! And I agree, the minty tingle is pure magic, hahaha!

Length
    27.5/30/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kitknits View Post
    Sugar tends to be smaller, more regularly-sized crystals than salt, so it isn't quite as abrasive. However, it might cause more problems for those who have skin conditions as sugar tends to be good food for lots of bacteria, though I can't attest to it personally. I like giving my scalp a good scritch with either fingers or a tangle-teaser style brush, and when it feels necessary, pair one of my more cleansing shampoos with a small palmful of salt.
    Thanks, yeah it's possible I may have some kind of something or other living there, and I hadn't considered that sugar might feed it. I've started a using a gentle antimicrobial tincture topically to see if it makes a difference in my scalp health over time. I guess I'll stick to the scritching and occasional salt for now.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Coffee grounds with rhassoul clay mixed with shampoo work for me
    Rinsing it out takes some time but its worth the effort.
    Plus, caffeine stimulates hair growth
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights