View Poll Results: Hair and Nails- parallels?- multiple answers possible- could not fit all the options

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have thick hair and unbreakable nails

25 10.04%
  • I have mediumly thick hair and sometimes breaking nails

27 10.84%
  • My hair is fine and my nails are weak

43 17.27%
  • I have thick hair but weak nails

31 12.45%
  • I have fine hair but strong nails

59 23.69%
  • I have medium thickness hair and weak nails

30 12.05%
  • I have medium thickness hair and strong nails

43 17.27%
  • My nails grow fast so does my hair

66 26.51%
  • My nails grow medium so does my hair

47 18.88%
  • My nails grow slow so does my hair

8 3.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: hair and nails: correlation between growth and strength?

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: hair and nails: correlation between growth and strength?

I was just thinking about this! I've always thought it was pretty weird that no matter what my hair was going through, my nails remained their unbreakable selves, growing at a pretty fast rate. This is fine now that I don't need to keep my nails short all the time, but back when I played the harp, it was a real pain to maintain them!

Length
    20/24/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I’ve always had thin flimsy nails and buckets of fast growing hair. Apparently my body has priorities and nails are bottom of the pile.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Medium hair, fairly week nails, both grow at a fairly average rate. I'll get a random nail that grows long and strong very occasionally, but most of the time they all start peeling after a couple of mm of white. I moisturise them every time with my hands with really good creams, I don't spend loads of time with my hands in water, and supplements don't seem to help My hair gets splits up the shaft but not loads and loads. I feel like if my hair were weak the oldest ends would not be in decent condition still after all these years, but it's not amazingly strong either. It doesn't like braids, which is a bit wimpy really
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

It's really interesting to see the results of this poll! I put that my hair grows fast and is weak, just like my nails, so I always assumed that there was a correlation, but it looks like I'm in the minority on that front. The only thing I seem to share with most of you is that both do grow pretty quickly.

I am interested in seeing what supplements would do, though. My doctor does always ask me if I take one, and several of you seem to have noticed a difference. I'm curious to know if it would help stop breakage (in both hair AND nails) in my case.
    Never dyed or heat styled. I had my hair short once and hated it; I love short hair on others, but it's not for me! Occasionally I do chops of a few inches to even out my ends, but that's about it. Benign neglect is my favorite routine!

Length
    23.7"/28"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

My nails have always been crazy-thin and prone to splitting/breaking. My hair is fine, but seems reasonably strong for what it is, I guess? It's certainly always held up through the abuses I used to put it through. :P

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair grows slightly faster than usual due to my hormone issues (2-3cm/month), I thought my hair was medium thick, but someone else saw the picture of my shed in a sink and said that’s coarse. My nails grow fast as well, but I have thin and soft nails, they are not brittle or break easily, just very bendy and not good looking. I keep my nails short as I do garden work and play the piano.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; July 31st, 2022 at 03:46 AM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

My hair is just barely iii and my nails are strong. I let them grow out long until one breaks and I start the cycle over again. I like my natural nails a lot, which is good because nail polish is not compatible with my finger detangling.

I'd say both my hair and nails grow at an average rate.