Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Herbs and Their Uses

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Herbs and Their Uses

Vetiveria zizaniodes(Botanical Name), vettiver (Tamil); Valo (Gujarati),

Common Name: Vet-i-ver. The word vetiver comes from the Tamil The word ‘Vetti’ means “to cut”and ‘ver’ is “root” in Tamil.

During hot summer months, you can pour boiling water in a clean clay pot, and put in the vetiver roots. Leaving the root bundle in the water for a few hours, the water will get an acquired sweet smell and taste from the vetiver.

Vetiver is used in oils, conditioners and shampoos. It is an ingredient of the Ramtirth oil. Valo or Vetiver is used externally to remove oppressive heat or burning of the body.

Also the “Meera Herbal Hair wash powder" contains vetiver.

Vetiver is used in homemade coconut oil recipes.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...hlight=vetiver

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Traditionally, many of these plants and herbs are used safely because the traditions dictate when and how they are to be used. It is taking them out of the traditional context and usage, that can be a problem, as I see it. Here in the West, many people do not know or understand why or how certain traditions and uses are followed, and in what proportions plants/herbs can be safely mixed with other plants/herbs to possibly balance and counteract certain adverse effects. In Ayurvedic medicine for example, that is determined on an individual basis, from what I understand. Plants/herbs are powerful drugs and used without proper guidance and knowledge, caution is advised.

Vetiver
    "Currently .... lack of available high-quality clinical trials assessing .... safety and efficacy of vetiver for any indication."
    http://www.naturalstandard.com/index...ts/vetiver.asp

Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides) also spelled vettiver
    See "Downsides" in the link below the text that I summarized.
    It is not recommended for pregnant women, newborns, nor is it recommended for children under about 12 years of age. It is classified as an abortifacient, emmenagogue and a uterine stimulant.
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=UcLY...um=5&ct=result
    Last edited by ktani; December 23rd, 2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Indravama or Gavakshi (Sanskrit)/ (Citrullus Colocynthis (botanical name)/ komatti, kommai, kommattikkoti (Tamil)/ Bitter Apple (English); Valiya Kaativelari (Malayalam); Badi Indrayan (Hindi)

The roots are used in treatments for jaundice, urinary diseases and rheumatism and oil extracted from the seeds is used to treat snake bites, scorpion stings, bowel complaints, epilepsy, and for promoting hair growth and to blacken grey hair.

Gavakshi is an ingredient of the Sesa Hair Oil.

Length
    31/32/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

This is one of my favorite thread so far Thanx Diamondbell this is really informative

I just love the way you describe herbs here,,, Thanx again

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by maliha View Post
    This is one of my favorite thread so far Thanx Diamondbell this is really informative

I just love the way you describe herbs here,,, Thanx again
    Thanks a lot maliha - I am glad this has been helpful! This is nice to know. I am trying to add herb names, especially the ones that are found in the oils I know.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Urad Dal (Hindi); Phasleolus mungo (Botanical name); Ulundhu (Tamil); Black Gram (English)

Black gram is one of the most highly prized pulses of India. Black gram originated in India, where it has been in cultivation from very ancient times. Urad dal has been introduced in recent times elsewhere in the tropics mainly by Indian immigrants. It is found throughout Asia and in Africa and the western India but nowhere it is so important as in India.

Black gram is demulcent or soothing and cooling agents. It is an aphrodisiac and nervine tonic. However excessive use of black gram causes flatulence, which can however be prevented by adding a little asafetida, pepper and ginger in the culinary preparations. It should not be taken by those who are easily predisposed to rheumatic diseases and urinary calculi as it contains oxalic acid in high concentration.

Hair Disorders: Washing the hair with a paste of cooked black gram dhal (urad dal) and fenugreek lengthens the hair, keeps them black (or as per your hair color) and cures dandruff. [I assume that only the black gram dal is soaked and pre-cooked before use, for this recipe]

The entire information is from the book “Foods That Heal” by H.K. Bhakru.
    Last edited by Diamondbell; December 28th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

My most used dal I love it

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Great! Me too... The first time I did the Urad dal+methi recipe, my hair looked so good, that I have always done this hair wash method now and then. There was no shedding at all... And not forgetting all the lovely dishes like idli, dosa... - do you use the cooked urad dal or the uncooked urad dal for this hair wash treatment? I have always soaked it overnight, cooked it the next morning and have ground it after it cools. But I don't cook the fenugreek, I just soak it overnight and grind it with the cooked urad dal the next day. (Time for another Urad dal wash)

Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

same for me soak all night and then cook on slow heat cause it foams up then after its soft cool down and then mash it up with methi seed. One time I didnt mash it too good and I had chunks in my hairs MMmm dosa is so good channa dal is my other mostly used for eating.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I use a grinder ("mixie") and grind it in semi-liquid form very smooth. So no chunks. I dry my hair outside the house, because little particles (urad dal) could otherwise fall on the floor inside the house!