Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna recipe advice please?

Default Henna recipe advice please?

I have never hennaed before but I've been intrigued with the idea for several years.

My hair is a medium to dark brown and although I'm fine with going red, I really would like to stay on the coppery end as opposed to having the more purple/burgundy/wine colors.

What is my best plan of action? Leave it on less time, add walnut powder/indigo/cassia?

I'd also love a recommendation for a brand of henna. It's especially important that it be 100% pure because I got a perm a few months ago.

My hair is about waist length.

Length
    14/27.5/30+
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Henna recipe advice please?

I would just use a straight, plane-old henna.

I use the Henna Guys and love it, but mine has Hibiscus mixed in, so it comes out more of a true, vibrant red.

Your hair is darker than mine, so you don't want any darkening agents (indigo). You say you want coppery ends; plain henna is a red-orange (different sources of henna lean toward different ends of the red-orange spectrum). Henna hut is a good source for henna and henna for hair has a lot of good information. I don't buy at henna hut, but only because I was so happy with what I got from the henna guys, I didn't see any need to buy anywhere else!
    Previous Length: Mid-back (11/2018 )
    Current length: Waist (July 2020)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There are henna dyes that give off a more orangey tone, others that are a burgundy red. It will be hard to stay coppery when your hair is already that dark. The most you'll get is a sheen if your hair is too dark, which it probably is.

Strand test first! Collect your sheds for a few weeks and dye them with the henna you'll be getting. Patience. Don't just delve into the unknown. Henna is *super* hard to remove!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm a medium brunette that manages coppery with 65% cassia + other herbs and 35% henna Full strength henna went too dark and too cool on my in a hurry. Since multiple applications of henna darken, it's much better to start too light and add to it rather than trying to lighten it afterwards.

Length
    SL/BSL/WL+
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

wow Nightshade Beautiful hair and colour...and that leaf forks spectacular...I know its not but it looks like giant basil

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Less time (i.e. not overnight, more on the order of 1-4 hours) and dilute the henna with cassia/senna or at least with conditioner. (Senna adds some yellow to it, so the color might be a little more golden-coppery than if you dilute with conditioner.) Once you hit a color you want, just touch up the roots, since the lengths will darken every time you apply.

Basically, listen to Nightshade on this one.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Less time (i.e. not overnight, more on the order of 1-4 hours) and dilute the henna with cassia/senna or at least with conditioner. (Senna adds some yellow to it, so the color might be a little more golden-coppery than if you dilute with conditioner.) Once you hit a color you want, just touch up the roots, since the lengths will darken every time you apply.

Basically, listen to Nightshade on this one.
    Heh, thanks!

For more detail, I mix the henna and senna up with hot chamomile tea, cover, and let dye release for 4 hours. Then apply to clean, wet hair and leave it on for 2-2.5 hours and then rinse. I only touch up my roots, haven't done the length in... 6 years? a REALLY long time.

Length
    SL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

WOW nightshade that is such a lovely color! Probably the exact shade id like to go! Im just chicken and not sure what the color will turn out like on my hair! I consider myself a mediumish brown as well but am scared of getting either a too red/purple or too orange look. What is the difference between senna and cassia? And As your hair has grown out and you haven't rehennaed the length have the effects of the henna worn off? Specifically the thickening/plumping extra shininess?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wool View Post
    WOW nightshade that is such a lovely color! Probably the exact shade id like to go! Im just chicken and not sure what the color will turn out like on my hair! I consider myself a mediumish brown as well but am scared of getting either a too red/purple or too orange look. What is the difference between senna and cassia? And As your hair has grown out and you haven't rehennaed the length have the effects of the henna worn off? Specifically the thickening/plumping extra shininess?
    Senna = cassia Cassia obovata is the common (and also rather incorrect) name generally used for Senna italica. The yellow color in Senna comes from Chrysophanic acid, which is also what gives it the conditioning benefits to both scalp and hair.

Senna alexandrea is a close relative to Senna italica, and that's Senna italica (cassia obovata) on the left and Senna alexandrea on the right, tested on white mohair for 2 hours. I use both in the senna blend that I cut my henna with.

By contrast, here's what 100% henna (a couple applications) looked like on me:

The best thing you can do is strand test on shed hair to gauge the color you'll get. Remember to treat your strand tests as close to reality as possible (so if you're going to dye release for 4 hours, apply for 2, etc. make sure you do that for all your tests and then do that for what's on your head).

For not reapplying, I don't think the effects have worn off at all It might have a little, but not so much that I feel like my ends are in need of anything. If I did, I think I'd use a very dilute henna blend (like 15% henna, 85% senna blend) to retouch it without darkening.

Length
    SL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Aw thanks so much! and one more question is where did you get your henna and cassia from?