Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Herbs and Their Uses

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Herbs and Their Uses

Hi Aisha actually the Fenugreek and lentils have been doing great. But it is hard to wash out the lentils. So I thought I would try yogurt instead of lentils. I also start coconut milk soaks on Thursday and hair wash on Sundays. One more question do you just put the fenugreek and yogurt on your scalp or all through the hair?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Just scalp.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thanks Aisha

I'm making a spicy coconut oil for my hair after reading this thread.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

The methi and yogurt are so conditioning that i put them all the way through my hair as a DT. I've not used low fat before but other people have with success, also the whey and a few other things appart from the fat is what makes it very conditioning.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Catladyintown View Post
    Hi Diamondbell I have a question on the fenugreek.
    "[B]6) METHI-HENNA HAIR PACK:
    Ingredients used
    Henna: 1 teacup
    How many ounces is in a teacup? Also will the Henna dye the roots of my black and gray hair red? Could you use cassia? Sorry I don't know how to change my fonts back.
    [/I]
    Catladyintown now font is back to black.
    Catladyintown -I think 1 cup is about 8 oz. or 110 gm. I suppose you can use cassia, though I have no experience with cassia at all. No problems about the font ... As for henna, I think it will color grey hair to red – but not the black hair (as far as I know)…

Thanks choteeand lora410 – I am glad this thread is of help to you !

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Great posts again Diamondbell.....and thanks for more fab recipes
    Thanks ChloeDharma – Happy experimenting!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thanks Diamondbell I will pass on the henna. I don't want my grays to turn red. Thanks ChloeDharma I think I also will use the fenugreek and yogurt all over my hair. Hi GoldenRed what are you putting in your spicy coconut? I love experimenting with coconut. Aisha told me about coconut milk and I love it.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Neem (English) /Azardiractha Indica (Botanical Name)/ Vembu (Telugu)/ Nimba (Sanskrit)/ Veppam (Tamil)/ Bevu (Kannada)/ Margosa (Arabic)

Neem grows in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, growing in tropical and semi-tropical regions.

Each part of the Neem tree has medicinal properties. It is anti-inflammatory; anti-fungal and antibacterial; prevents scalp from infections and prevents hair shedding. Neem oil is used in the preparation of shampoos, creams and soaps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Against lice:
    1)HAIR OIL: Take neem seeds and make powder
    Mix in coconut oil and apply over night on head
    Wash off next morning

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) HAIR OIL: Mix neem flowers to sesame oil and heat. Use that on hair before taking bath
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    3) HAIR OIL: Kadukkai (Haritaki) + Vasambu (Sweet flag) + Neem leaves. Grind and mix with coconut oil. Keep it in sunlight. Use this oil for applying on hair.
    4) NEEM FLOWER SMOKE: After bath, apply Sambrani powder/guggul (Boswellia Serrata) smoke for the hair. In that add also the dry neem flower to give that smoke anti-lice effect.
    5)HAIR PACK: Grind Neem leaves + Vasambu(Sweet flag) + Black thulsi and apply on head and wait for an hour before washing hair.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For Dandruff:
    1) Hair Oil: Heat coconut oil with 100 gm of neem powder and apply to your hair once a week.

2) Neem Water Rinse:

Take some leaves fresh from the Neem tree, wash them a little, then put them into a pan and pour over some hot but not boiling water .....let them stay for about 1/2 hour, and remove the leaves and discard them .....when the water is cooled, you may pour the water over freshly shampooed hair, leave it for about 10 minutes then refresh your hair in some cool water....you may store the water in the refrigerator for a week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Balding: Neem oil can be regularly appleid on the bald patch caused by alopecia.

Note: Please add more recipes if any. Since I have never used pure neem oil, I do not know anything about it. I only know that pure neem oil (i.e. oil extracted from the plant) is used as plant-insecticide. But an oil base, such as coconut oil - mixed with neem powder should be OK. But please correct me if I am wrong in this. I have just added one more recipe for balding (with pure neem oil) found in a book.
    Last edited by Diamondbell; September 9th, 2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: adding recipe

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Centella asiatica (Brahmi)/ Gotu Kala (Singhalese)/Sanskrit:Mandukaparni/Vallarai (Tamil)/Brahma Manduki (Hindi)/Indian Pennywort (English)

It is often confused with Bacopa monnieri which is the more famous "Brahmi"; both have some common therapeutic properties in Vedic texts and both are used for improving memory. It is a brain tonic and stimulates hair growth.

The whole plant possesses antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifebrile, and diuretic properties. It has a positive effect on the circulatory system. It improves the flow of blood while strengthening the veins and capillaries. Relieves stress and depression, energizes flagging mental powers, fights sterility, wards off a nervous breakdown, and improves reflexes. Induces good sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HAIR OIL PREPARATION:
    Brahmi taila (Ointment): The leaves of 'Brahmi' or 'Mandukaparni' can be used to make the oil. Leaves of 'Mandukaparni' or Indian penny wort (centella Asiactica) is taken in 2 parts, sesame oil 2 parts, powder of clove 1\8th part and cardamom 1\8th part are mixed together and boiled till all the water evaporates. It is sieved and applied to the scalp. This gives colour to your hair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RIINSE:
    To use brahmi (Centella asiatica) powder for hair, make a hot water infusion with the powder and strain it. The tea can be used to rinse the hair after shampooing.

Last edited by Diamondbell; September 9th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi)/Neer Brahmi (Tamil)/Water hyssop(English)/?

Bacopa monnieri: (Brahmi) Leaves improve memory and is used for brain tonics.

Bacopa has been revered for centuries in the Ayurvedic herbal tradition of India to enhance clear thinking and support memory function. Brahmi is one of the best nervine tonic and is widely used in treating epilepsy, hysteria etc.

The medicated oil of brahmi with triphala (three myrobalans), karcura (Curcuma zedoaria and usira (Vetiveria zizanioides) augments the hair growth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: if any of you have more recipes for this please send them in here. Since there are two plants called "Brahmi", it is extremely confusing! I have put them together so that someone can give more information too, if possible
    Last edited by Diamondbell; September 9th, 2008 at 11:27 PM.