Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foolproof scalp washing techniques and Seb. Derm. advice?

Length
    Nape/nape/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Default Re: Foolproof scalp washing techniques and Seb. Derm. advice?

I seem to have the same problem and I have discovered a great shampoo, its called Ionil and it comes in a plain and a tar version, I have the plain one as I was worried that it may change my hair colour!
    Anyway after using it for a ew washes the horrible dry flaky patches on my scalp have more or less gone, one cerainly has and the worse area on the back of my head is at least 70% better.
    Its got salicylic acid 2% in it and it seems to really clear the scalp, I am still using my Terax Crema after and its working well!
    Lady Gylly, Scion of the Blessed Island in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    15 in/20 in/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

My husband has SD pretty bad on his scalp. His derm prescribed Clobetasol (I think someone else mentioned that stuff, too.) It's a topical steroid, which I don't like, but it's available in a generic, which I do like.

It works pretty well, but it's not a panacea. ACV rinses have helped in the past, too, so you might want to give that a try.

Length
    buzz/MBL/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I've never gotten the scrunchi bun/shower cap methods to work for me so this is my preferred method after experimenting about:

1) Put hair in a low braid at the nape
    2) Stick the braid down the band of your bra/under the back of the straps/under the straps of a snug fitting tank top or camisole (one that won't move much if you bend over)
    3) Wet scalp hair down under a longnecked faucet (kitchen faucet is my favourite for this) or with a handheld shower attachement; braid will ride up a little - that's OK
    4) Shampoo as usual and rinse under faucet/with handheld attachement
    5) Pat dry with a towel, undo braid and detangle

Hair will be wet to about shoulder blades and damp a little bit further down, completely dry on the rest of the length. I much prefer this method compared to the shower cap as it leaves both hands free to get to the scalp and work with it. There's also less of a risk that you accidentally wet down the entire length ,something I found happened a lot for me - probably because my hair is fine and either slips out of the shower cap or the shower cap doesn't fit snug enough with one of the hands holding it shut.

I'm a scalp washer two to three times a week. I detangle my hair in the morning, then rebraid it at my nape. I then kind of fold/roll the braid up and wrap a ponytail holder around the roll.

Being a silly one, I use a latex glove to tuck my braid into then wrap another ponytail holder around the glove close to my nape. I have a giant box of gloves that I keep handy for hair treatments.. They are cheaper than ziplock baggies and I don't have to worry about the excess like my shower cap. This takes approx. 30 seconds to do from rolling to wrapped. Yes, I look silly, but it works great.

I CO normally sometimes even doing an ACV rinse then rinse very well, paying special attention to where the braid is gathered to ensure I don't have leftover product.

Pull off the glove and voila! Clean scalp, dry ends and no tired arms!

Length
    APL/NA/NA
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Thanks Arctic Mama! It certainly did answer my little hijack question and it makes total sense.
    Last edited by az_sweetie01; September 5th, 2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Plant Lavender, for luck. And fall in love whenever you can."
    -Alice Hoffman "Practical Magic"