Thread: Need "starter" toys!

Length
    16.5/30/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Need "starter" toys!

Hi all...I've been looking, and pricing, and I've decided that I would hate to spend a fortune on something that I didn't like, or didn't work well for me. I'm just learning how to put my hair up, so I don't need a $40 toy to begin with!

Does anyone have older pieces they don't use anymore? I don't care about decoration, I just want to be familiar with each piece so that I can find what works best for me.

I learned how to use a french twist comb today, but the only one I have is plastic, I hate to use it and it has a stress fracture.

If anyone has any old hair forks, hair slide (exactly what is that and how is one used?), hair beak (I have one, don't know how to use it effectively), etc, that they'd be willing to sell, please let me know...then, when I've used them, I'll sell them to someone else who'se just learning!

This would be a great way to keep from purchasing unnescessary accessories and a great way to get rid of all of those cheap pieces we all start with!

Thanks!
    My Goal Color! (My best friend's hair!)

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Need "starter" toys!

I think I may have some things to send you.....pm me if you would like details.

Length
    --/tb/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I have a small horn fork that was my first fork that I'd be happy for you to take to try out - given your length and thickness it would probably do a half-up for you.

And probably a few other bits and pieces you could experiment with.

wg

Length
    16.5/30/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wendyg View Post
    I have a small horn fork that was my first fork that I'd be happy for you to take to try out - given your length and thickness it would probably do a half-up for you.

And probably a few other bits and pieces you could experiment with.

wg
    Thank you so very much! I've been leaning toward horn products...apparently they're very nice to work with. PM me with your details! (see how easy that was...I'll be able to spend my whole paycheck and never leave the computer, lol!!)

Length
    shldr/clssc/tb
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You can also look for cheap things at Claire's. This past weekend, I bought two hair forks (one metal, straight, and kinda longish, and the other slightly curved, plastic, and shorter). I've never used hair forks before, but these cheapie ones (total of 8.00 for the two of them) will give me an idea on if I like forks or not.

Or, you could haunt hair salons that cut hair for LOL, and ask the longhairs going in if they'll give you your stuff when they chop it off. You could explain that would be more charitable than the actual hair donation they are doing...

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Alaytheia View Post
    You can also look for cheap things at Claire's. This past weekend, I bought two hair forks (one metal, straight, and kinda longish, and the other slightly curved, plastic, and shorter). I've never used hair forks before, but these cheapie ones (total of 8.00 for the two of them) will give me an idea on if I like forks or not.

Or, you could haunt hair salons that cut hair for LOL, and ask the longhairs going in if they'll give you your stuff when they chop it off. You could explain that would be more charitable than the actual hair donation they are doing...
    Claire's is a good idea, stalking/haunting is not a good idea!! Funny, but not a good idea!

Length
    16.5/30/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by angelthadiva View Post
    Claire's is a good idea, stalking/haunting is not a good idea!! Funny, but not a good idea!

Too funny! I've been to Claire's (and Icing, by Claire's...both in the same mall...go figure) and found one fork that I've sanded a bit, it's small, so I'm working with half-ups. I'm not sure I'm using this particular one correctly, but my hair stays up, so it must be right. I have a couple of old wooden hair forks, but they're rough, and not worth the effort.

Btw, what if they don't know I'm stalking them?

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I have a bunch of toys that I'm looking to get rid of. I have a medium celtic knot Flexi8 that I want to sell.All silver,btw. If you think you might want to give that a try,let me know and I'll tell you how much I want for it. I also have 2 hair slides that I bought from Walmart that I never ever use. $3 a piece for those. I can take pics very easily,so just let me know. I'm sure I have some other stuff, I'll look through my stash.

I would post a thread on here,to get rid of all my stuff.But,it's really hard to make multiple trips to the post office since I do not have a car and I'd rather sell as most as I can to one person.Easier for everyone, in the long run.

So-PM me and let me know what you think.Like I said, I'll look more in depth of what I don't want anymore.
    ETA-Oh! I have some cheapo hairsticks,as well.A buck a pair(how much I paid for them).
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgchick View Post
    <snip>
    Btw, what if they don't know I'm stalking them?
    Well, if they don't know, then you are all good!