Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Flight Attendant Concerns

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Aspiring Flight Attendant Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Schefflera View Post
    It's conceivable the hairpin limit has to do with going through the metal detectors, in which case a Ficcare might only help if you're willing to take it out and redo.
    Flight attendants and pilots (at least where my SIL works) don't go through the metal detectors. But if you are using a ficcare, it's a lot easier to take out and put back on than bobby pins. I need at least 5 to have my hair up.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anlbe View Post
    No.

It's not about hair, I don't mind dress codes and uniforms but I wouldn't fundamentally change my physical appearance for an employer because I would consider that an invasion of my personal life. I also wouldn't sign a contract that dictated how I should behave out of work hours/ out of uniform.
    This... !!!!
    Waiting for waist

Length
    BSL/Waist/BSL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Clean hair is the most acceptable, so to say.

Length
    2"/23"/TLBN
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I don't think I'd ever cut my hair if my job required it. After all, what other invasions to my private life would there be? Granted, service people generally have very little private life, because they are in the service 24/7. Yet, even women in the service can wear their hair in a neat bun and it's acceptable.

I have a sister-in-law who works for AA and her hair is APL, she wears it up when on duty. Since she lives on the other side of the country, not exactly sure how she puts it up, haven't really talked about it with her. So I think if an airline requires that you be willing to cut your hair, what is the motive? What difference does it make to them? If it's neat, clean and tidy, it should be totally acceptable. Otherwise, keep looking around. Not all airlines will require you to cut your hair.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Generally speaking, I wouldn't cut for a job, not because I'm terribly attached to my hair, but because I don't believe employers have rights over my body and my private life beyond dictating the clothing and general standard of appearance (ie neat and clean) I wear for work. If it was really my dream job, perhaps I'd consider it, but even then it'd depend on their reasoning and if I suspected further invasion into my personal life.

I've seen flight attendants with long hair in buns before, so I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to do so as long as it's well-kept and neat.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    SHLDR/SHLDR/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post

For a stint at McDonald's? Thank you no.
    I work at McDonalds... they dont make you cut your hair... just pull it back :/

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla Nyx View Post
    I work at McDonalds... they dont make you cut your hair... just pull it back :/
    I didn't mean any insult. I was simply stating that for my Barbie dream job, yes, I'd consider it. For any old job that wasn't my lifelong dream, heck no.

And I know McD's doesn't make you cut your hair...I was going along with the theme of the thread, whether or not you would cut for a job.

Length
    BSL/SL/Clssc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I could probably cut my hair to a certain length... If I was able to go into the Marines, I think BSL or mid-back would be pretty appropriate if I had to cut it from classic (my dream length)

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

If you go to your interview with it neatly contained (i.e. not in a messy bun or loose pony tail) they probably won't say anything about it. Flight attendents have a very high standard of appearance they have to maintain. Most require basic make-up, dress shoes, and neat professional appearances. You have to be fairly fit (to life luggage without endangering the passengers) and you can not too over weight (you must be able to fit through a window exit in emergency's since it's your job to bring the crew to safety.)

ETA: Honestly, even with knee length hair, when I have it up in a cinna bun or braided cinna bun, most people have no clue how long it is. I've had countless people tell me "No way is your hair that long!" only to be amazed when I take it down and show them.

If it's important to you, go to your interview with it up and professional. Don't say anything about it, don't ask if it's ok. Just see if they say anything. I'd bet a lot that they won't say a word.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; April 29th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    14"/-/-
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

??? I've seen flight attendants with very long, LOOSE hair. Since when is that a rule?