Note to the Powers That Be: Please put this wherever it belongs; I haven't a clue!

I recently obtained a "vintage" hand mirror to replace the one I recently killed. Now, I knew "vintage" was taking a risk, but this was advertised as something her grandmother had put away in a dresser drawer and never used, still in its original box, etc. And it was, I'm sure.

Still, the mirror has "markings" on it from the satin lining of the box in which it languished for so long. It looks like it would be the easiest thing in the world to simply wipe them off! But, no, they don't come off and it makes the mirror cloudy enough that it's difficult/annoying to use. (

It's a beautiful vanity piece, came along with a brush which has another sad story, but I didn't want the brush, so it didn't matter. What I'd like to know is this: Anyone know of a way to polish this mirror? I've used Windex and I've used white vinegar and they didn't make any difference in it at all.

I'd like to be able to use this, for it's what I depend upon when doing my hair - the hand-held mirror reflecting the image on the bigger bathroom mirror....

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.