Thread: - Honey lightened my hair a lot !

Length
    20/23,6/35,4
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default - Honey lightened my hair a lot !

- My photos aren't up to date, my hair is now black, but I did an SMT a few days ago, and I cooked the mix in the microwave 45 seconds so the honey doesnt lighten my hair, but when I washed it out the water was black (i had previous red hair (red from henna and vegan hair dyes, the black dye came out) and all of a sudden my hair isnt black anymore, it has lighter bits, I can see long white hairs for the 2nd time in my life ever . .

My hair feels lovely but the colour upset me, isn't honey supposed to not lighten your hair if you cook it for 30 seconds ? =/

What did I do wrong ? Never had this experience with SMT's before .

The thing I did differently was that I mixed a bit virgin coconut oil instead of aloe vera gel since I ran out of the gel and can't find good gel anywhere without alcohol .
    Freegan - Polyamorous - Ex-Squatter

- Sorry I'm late . - That's okay, time doesn't exist .

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: - Honey lightened my hair a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by RedheadMistress View Post
    - My photos aren't up to date, my hair is now black, but I did an SMT a few days ago, and I cooked the mix in the microwave 45 seconds so the honey doesnt lighten my hair, but when I washed it out the water was black (i had previous red hair (red from henna and vegan hair dyes, the black dye came out) and all of a sudden my hair isnt black anymore, it has lighter bits, I can see long white hairs for the 2nd time in my life ever . .

My hair feels lovely but the colour upset me, isn't honey supposed to not lighten your hair if you cook it for 30 seconds ? =/

What did I do wrong ? Never had this experience with SMT's before .

The thing I did differently was that I mixed a bit virgin coconut oil instead of aloe vera gel since I ran out of the gel and can't find good gel anywhere without alcohol .
    Wellllll, this has been reported before, that microwaving did not destroy the enzyme in honey that produces peroxide. It appears that you used a very good honey for lightening, however unintentionally. You are the second only to report this kind of result after microwaving honey.

The recommended 30 seconds for microwaving for honey not to lighten is actually 30 seconds to under 1 minute. That may need to be expanded now and you used a honey lightening booster, the oil.

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

The honey doesnt have to be the reason for the lightening. Any long duration treatment can do this to som extent. After a chemical hair dye you can tone that down with a regular condish, put on for a long time, especially applied immediately after the dye (or within three days). This is a well known trick. This works also after some time, when certain conditions are met. I'm a little confused, what hair coloration was in the hair to begin with? The black, was it herbal or chemical? Permanent?

Coconut oil has ben said to remove some color from the hair (artificial color, not natural).

True, some dyes can be removed by conditioning treatments (it is actually the water that removes the dye) under certain conditions. Coconut oil used straight has not been reported to lighten colour.

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Coconut oil used straight has not been reported to lighten colour.
    I have read this from several people claiming this happened to them. I dont think it was on an english speaking forum. I might have saved the info on my other computer at home but I can't check for it right now. I'm at a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    I have read this from several people claiming this happened to them. I dont think it was on an english speaking forum. I might have saved the info on my other computer at home but I can't check for it right now. I'm at a hospital.
    Under certain cirumstances it, like conditioner can remove fresh dye but most things can if there is residual dye or the dye was not properly applied.

I should have been more clear. It has not been reported to lighten hair colour used as an oiling oil, or a treatment, in general, or in an oil shampoo. ETA: 3 See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=406. Just the opposite was reported.

ETA: One of the oils that supposedly can lighten henna is mineral oil. That does not work either. Henna can bleed for a while after application before it has fully oxidized. Conditioning treatments have been reported to "lighten" it too.

ETA: 2 I am referring to the oil used straight, not in a honey lightening solution.
    Last edited by ktani; December 4th, 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: ETA and ETA: 2 and 3

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    ETA: One of the oils that supposedly can lighten henna is mineral oil. That does not work either. Henna can bleed for a while after application before it has fully oxidized. Conditioning treatments have been reported to "lighten" it too.
    Yes those are two different circumstances that should be differentiated from each other. Bleeding and removing I mean. It is important to rule out influencing factors when you ask people what really happened to their hair.

ETA: 2 I am referring to the oil used straight, not in a honey lightening solution.
    I meant that too. Perhaps there were other ingredients involved, I will have to look for the case info to verify.

Perhaps we should write an article about hair myths

Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Yes those are two different circumstances that should be differentiated from each other. Bleeding and removing I mean. It is important to rule out influencing factors when you ask people what really happened to their hair.

I meant that too. Perhaps there were other ingredients involved, I will have to look for the case info to verify.

Perhaps we should write an article about hair myths
    I have debunked a few already in articles and threads. I would be interested to read what you write, however.

There are plenty of hair care myths to go around, lol.