Page 525 of 878 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535575625 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Which bar did you use? And did you do a patch test before you used it? It's fully possible you're allergic to something in the bar (one of the EOs or even one of the main oils.) If you are allergic it's a distinct possibility that you simply didn't react the first time because allergies are occasionally spazzy like that. If it is simply one of the ingredients you can probably narrow it down and simply avoid it in future bars. Still sucks a big one though

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Annibelle View Post
    Ugh... I feel like crying. My head has been itchy since my last wash, and now I'm developing small, painful pimples on my scalp. After my wash, my face got weird and dry and red and painful, too-- I didn't know why. I don't remember touching my face with the soap, but I could have had residue on my hands before touching my face in the shower. It's the only thing that has changed recently in my routine...

I'm going to stop using my poo bar for a week or so and see what happens with my skin and scalp. I was going to do a cassia treatment this weekend, but now I'm afraid to do that when my scalp is feeling weird.
    Definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. Waiting to do the cassia treatment would be smart. Let the rash heal up first. If you must wash before it's completely gone, I'd use something really gentle, maybe like a baby shampoo? So it doesn't irritate your scalp anymore. That sucks! Hope it gets better soon!
    Lady Ravenna of Triple Moon and Neon Lights
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Currently at Waist Length, Aiming for Classic

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rybe View Post
    Which bar did you use? And did you do a patch test before you used it? It's fully possible you're allergic to something in the bar (one of the EOs or even one of the main oils.) If you are allergic it's a distinct possibility that you simply didn't react the first time because allergies are occasionally spazzy like that. If it is simply one of the ingredients you can probably narrow it down and simply avoid it in future bars. Still sucks a big one though
    I used a shampoo bar (the only things in it I hadn't used in other things before were castor oil and patchouli EO) from a local vendor. The first time I used it, my scalp DID get itchy, but it didn't break out or anything. Maybe it just got over-irritated? Or maybe, like you said, my allergic reaction was spazzy. I know that I suddenly can't even take a whiff of that poo bar without sneezing like crazy, and that DIDN'T happen the first week I had it!

Quote Originally Posted by PaganPriestess View Post
    Definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. Waiting to do the cassia treatment would be smart. Let the rash heal up first. If you must wash before it's completely gone, I'd use something really gentle, maybe like a baby shampoo? So it doesn't irritate your scalp anymore. That sucks! Hope it gets better soon!
    Thanks for the advice! I'm actually really stubborn and decided to do the cassia anyway, but I'm glad I did. My scalp feels fine now-- I think the cassia may have helped soothe it (it felt better as soon as the mud was on) or maybe it's just the fact that I afterwards used a different (gentle) shampoo to wash everything out. I really want to try poo bars because they just seem better for the environment (and pretty cool!), but if I'm reacting to the castor oil in this one, that will be hard to avoid in other shampoo bars.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Annibelle View Post
    I used a shampoo bar (the only things in it I hadn't used in other things before were castor oil and patchouli EO) from a local vendor. The first time I used it, my scalp DID get itchy, but it didn't break out or anything. Maybe it just got over-irritated? Or maybe, like you said, my allergic reaction was spazzy. I know that I suddenly can't even take a whiff of that poo bar without sneezing like crazy, and that DIDN'T happen the first week I had it!

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually really stubborn and decided to do the cassia anyway, but I'm glad I did. My scalp feels fine now-- I think the cassia may have helped soothe it (it felt better as soon as the mud was on) or maybe it's just the fact that I afterwards used a different (gentle) shampoo to wash everything out. I really want to try poo bars because they just seem better for the environment (and pretty cool!), but if I'm reacting to the castor oil in this one, that will be hard to avoid in other shampoo bars.
    I would put money that it's the patchouli you're allergic to rather than the castor oil.

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PaganPriestess View Post
    I would put money that it's the patchouli you're allergic to rather than the castor oil.
    I think you're right, especially because the scent made me sneeze. I really wanted to try the CV Cafe Moreno, though, which has both in it. Grrr!!!

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Yeah, I'd try a couple of their really simple unscented bars (like coconut milk, extra honey beer and olive babassu) and and see if you have any reaction. But my money is also on the patchouli, especially if smelling it made you sneeze. people can be allergic to shea and caster oil etc, but those EOs are volatile stuff. And allergies can build up over time with exposure and get worse, which would explain why it took multiple exposures. One of the things I like about CV's page is it lists all the ingredients pretty clearly and if you're trying to avoid an oil, with the exception of caster it seems to be pretty easy!

But next time you use a bar I'd defiantly patch test! Just dampen it a little, rub it gently on the inside of your elbow, slap a band aid over it, and leave it for several hours to see if you react! Much less unpleasant than finding out with your scalp.

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSkye View Post
    So, somewhere on the internet I read that one shouldn't use vinegar rinses on my hair more than once a week because they're acidic and...something else, I don't remember. But I think they're assuming that you're washing daily, whereas I wash every 2-4 days. Is there anything wrong with using a vinegar rinse every time if you aren't washing that frequently? My hair really liked the vinegar rinse when I tried it.

Oh! Yeah, the reason I'm posting this here is because I'm doing the vinegar rinse after using a CV bar. Just in case anyone was wondering about the relevance of my post.
    A shampoo-bar, or any conventional shampoo for that matter, is basic as far as pH is concerned. As a result, it lifts the cuticles on the hair shaft. An ACV rinse is acidic, the opposite of basic, so it neutralizes the effect and smooths down the cuticles. Conventional conditioner is also acidic and does the same thing. So, I don’t think the information you read is correct. It’s ok to do ACV rinses more than once a week. At the end of the day, if it makes your hair/scalp feel good you’re doing something right.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

So I just received my first three CV bars: Ayurvedic Herb, Neem & Tea Tree, and Summer Sunshine.

It's definitely different switching from CO... my hair seemed really dry after my first shampoo bar wash and the frizz was TERRIBLE. So, I used CO again the day after... and it just made my hair greasy!! (I use L'oreal Eversleek... which has worked great for the past couple months, cone and sulfate free)

Is my hair just really damaged? Because I haven't used any heat tools in MONTHS.

I need your help ladies

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I'm giving up. My hair continues to feel absolutely horrible on the shampoo bars. Washed tonight with Pantene and conditioned with my old stand-by Dove Intensive Repair, and it was like a ********. My hair just likes cones. My 3yo DD's hair seems to like the bars though, and my husband's scalp is improving, so they will still get used up.

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarise View Post
    So I just received my first three CV bars: Ayurvedic Herb, Neem & Tea Tree, and Summer Sunshine.

It's definitely different switching from CO... my hair seemed really dry after my first shampoo bar wash and the frizz was TERRIBLE. So, I used CO again the day after... and it just made my hair greasy!! (I use L'oreal Eversleek... which has worked great for the past couple months, cone and sulfate free)

Is my hair just really damaged? Because I haven't used any heat tools in MONTHS.

I need your help ladies
    Did you use a vinegar rinse after? My hair feels horrible until I do, then it feels fine-great depending on the bar. I defiantly had a learning curve, so I wouldn't give up after one wash. I haven't tried any of those bars (tried to order summer sunshine and they were out ) so I can't say anything to them specifically...

Also, did you 'poo more than once? If your hair came out greasy after a CO (again, something I've never done so just theorizing) maybe it never got clean to begin with, and it wasn't really dry, it was just frizzing like a beast because of residue? I find additional 'pooings actually keep you from getting residue, counter intuitively.