Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad experience - Hairstylist advice needed (long)

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Bad experience - Hairstylist advice needed (long)

Quote Originally Posted by alyanna View Post
    Kind of a side topic but:

Oh ktani! If you only knew! I've repeated myself so much at that salon that everyone at that place knows full well what I like. It's just that my stylist disagrees. He will occasionally "humour" me by giving me what I want, but if I so much as blink, he will do what he wants. He's got his own preferences too and this worked marvelously when my hair was shorter. I went in for "tweaks" every 4-6 weeks, got my highlights freshened up regularly and pretty much changed my hairstyle every time I was in there. THAT'S when he's at his best.

I know my stylist hates long hair. He even kind of smirked disapprovingly when I told him I was growing it. I know I won't get what I want out of him now that my hair is longer, but I'm just in a comfort zone and don't want to break up, you know?

One telling sign that I should let this go is that he did not do my hair at my wedding 6 years ago. I just couldn't trust him quite enough for that special day.
    Yeah, been there with my friend, a stylist who used every excuse to cut my hair shorter when trimming it than I wanted.

I had to watch him "like a hawk" too. Not right and I finally got tired of the entire dynamic (he cut his girlfriend's hair shorter than she wanted it too). I now cut my own hair, lol.

If you cannot get through to him and you should not have to put up with his disapproval or "smirks", then go somewhere else, or try to work this out on your own.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Whenever I use the Caruso, I often get "WOW" as a response, so I think you can too !!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

This is a very personal opinion so please feel free to disagree completely.

What exactly about your hair isn't polished enough for your lifestyle? I looked at your photos and your hair seems lovely enough to me.

As far as looking like you walked out of a magazine, if you want hair that looks fake and cost a lot of money then just pay a lot of money for some fake hair. (extensions?)

If it were me and I wanted to feel extra special I'd get a really fancy hair toy or something.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist

I also say cocoon curls (heat free curls) or stick waves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgwpT...e_gdata_player

The pen/pencil wave is a method I use sometimes and I havent used styling products like spray/gel more than twice in the last 5 years( I hate the sticky feeling).

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

An up-do is the best polished look while avoiding damage. Is your hair long enough for a peacock twist (http://www.ficcare.com/videos.aspx)? If you can mange it, a french twist is classic and always elegant. Use oil or a mixture of oil and aloe vera gel to slick back your hair.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

You said that you did not use that stylist on your wedding day because you did not trust him enough.. So who did you use? Get them to do it! If they were good enough for your wedding day, surely they can handle one day a week?

If you're dead set on doing it yourself, I would try to do updos as much as possible, they are very elegant.
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

What exactly about your hair isn't polished enough for your lifestyle? I looked at your photos and your hair seems lovely enough to me.
    Thank you so much! My hair is fine, but let me give you an example. Next month, we've got a wedding. The guy is my DH's brother's best friend. His dad is a big-shot tv series producer. His dad's wife is a famous actor/belly dancer. The bride, we've heard, will be wearing 3 or 4 different dresses throughout the night. My husband and I decided to definitely go to this wedding because frankly, we just want to check out all the hoopla and the celebrities that will be present!

So, it's kind of a social game I've decided to play ... I personally am not directly part of these social circles, but since for one night, I'm gonna check it out, I want to fit in. Not that I'm uncomfortable in my own skin, but I see it as a kind of dress-up.

I'd like to play dress-up with the least damage incurred to the hair
    Shoulder>>>APL >>> BSL >>> WAIST

Length
    APL/TBL/Clsc
    Type
    1a/F/i

Another good idea is curling your hair with strips from a paper bag. It sounds crazy, but I've done it before and it looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2QGq0n4A

Length
    hip/31"/more!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

btw I forgot to say that I tested the aloe vera curls in the wind: they stay!