Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NY Times Surgeon General Article on Hair & Exercise

Length
    20/56/knee+
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: NY Times Surgeon General Article on Hair & Exercise

Seriously, I all but gave up regular exercise a number of years ago because I was so worried about my hair. That was when I first started growing my hair out almost 10 years ago. When I started noticing I was putting on the pounds and my waist wasn't what it used to be, I started getting scared, especially since my metabolism was starting to slow down. Once I stopped worrying about my hair so much, things got a little bit easier. It took a conscious effort, though, on what was more important, my hair or my body.

You'd think that things would be a little more difficult with the frequent washings and exercise, especially since my hair is much longer now. It's all in your attitude, and I can't emphasize that strongly enough. I'm dealing with it differently and not getting defeated by it.

For yoga and floor work, It just do heidi braids (it's easier to detangle than a single braid), and a topknot bun for everything else (swimming, treadmill, weights). The is followed by mostly a CO rinse, detangle in the shower (comb goes thru my hair like butter if detangled first) and drip dry before bunning.

What's important is that I make it a point to get to the gym for some exercise and always feel better after I go. I don't want to be sitting around and having my activities limited by my (stupid) hair. Yes, I love it, but I'm not going to let it rule my life.
    Note to self: Master my hair, do not let my hair master me.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

My hair gets in the way, but it doesn't STOP me from doing anything...
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'm rare I love my brisk walks and I do like moderate exercise. I like the way I feel energized and sweats not issue with me. I'm 130 pounds I'm 5ft 7in so I'm were I need to be just do for my health.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Talking Re: NY Times Surgeon General Article on Hair & Exercise

Quote Originally Posted by islandboo View Post
    LOL, I have many excuses for not exercising like I should but my hair has never been one of them.
    Agreed X2!
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/56/knee+
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    My hair gets in the way, but it doesn't STOP me from doing anything...
    Good thing -- that's the attitude to take! But I dare say it gets a bit more challenging when your hair gets down to your knees!
    Note to self: Master my hair, do not let my hair master me.

Length
    14ish/39/term.
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Wait! Does this mean I can use my hair as an excuse not to muck stalls? And to not walk the dog? (wait I don't walk her anyways... she just goes out and runs the field...) No? Darn. Nope, never used my hair as an excuse to not do something (other than "Don't get that fake blood anywhere NEAR my hair or I swear I will shoot you." ya, that stuff dyes hair and it's kinda permanent, so ya.) oh and once i said i couldn't do something cause I had to S&D... but that was just a convenient excuse, and i really did have to lol.