Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leisje View Post
    My hair is super fine, light, and naturally fluffly too. For me some shampoo bars do seem to encourage the light fluffiness (usually the more cleansing bars), but I am able to make it look sleeker with a drop or two of camellia oil on damp hair post wash. If I do not put any oil in my hair after I wash, my hair is major fluff. Also the extra moisturizing bars encourage sleekness, though some people may have a problem with them making their hair waxy. My hair craves moisture so I don't have this issue.
    Hope that helps!
    Thank you for the info! It is helpful! I normally would put a little but of coconut oil on my ends after washing, but I wanted to see what the poo bar would do on its own. But I do have another question-- how can you tell how moisturizing a poo bar will be before you use it??? I looked at the CV site and they had one bar labeled as moisturizing, but I'm sure there's probably something between that and ultra-cleansing... I just don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by battles View Post
    Mine was really light and fluffy the first time I used it, and I absolutely loved that. Since then it's been on and off. Still soft and easy to comb through, but definitely heavier. I actually preferred the fluffy feeling.
    I've always wanted heavier hair. I might not mind the fluffiness at all if my ends were thicker, but having them fluff up just shows how much air is between each strand and makes it look even thinner.

Length
    chin/waist/TB
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

So, somewhere on the internet I read that one shouldn't use vinegar rinses on my hair more than once a week because they're acidic and...something else, I don't remember. But I think they're assuming that you're washing daily, whereas I wash every 2-4 days. Is there anything wrong with using a vinegar rinse every time if you aren't washing that frequently? My hair really liked the vinegar rinse when I tried it.

Oh! Yeah, the reason I'm posting this here is because I'm doing the vinegar rinse after using a CV bar. Just in case anyone was wondering about the relevance of my post.
    Lady Callas of the Mighty Pen in the Order of Long-Haired Knights

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSkye View Post
    So, somewhere on the internet I read that one shouldn't use vinegar rinses on my hair more than once a week because they're acidic and...something else, I don't remember. But I think they're assuming that you're washing daily, whereas I wash every 2-4 days. Is there anything wrong with using a vinegar rinse every time if you aren't washing that frequently? My hair really liked the vinegar rinse when I tried it.

Oh! Yeah, the reason I'm posting this here is because I'm doing the vinegar rinse after using a CV bar. Just in case anyone was wondering about the relevance of my post.
    Hmmm, I'd like to know this, too. I've been doing ACV rinses twice a week for a month or so and haven't seen any damage... but I dunno.

Length
    36/38/40
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hello all,
    I found this forum in searching natural shampoo bars to learn everything I could about them before deciding on a purchase some.
    My hair is described as "fine" (each strand what beautician told me, who knows if correct?) but I have a TON of it, it is very thick and has some natural curl to where it tangles easily, and if no conditioner it is almost dread lock! (well not that bad but you know ). So I am looking for suggestions on something that will clean but help with tangles and frizzies. Help it look smooth etc.
    Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I thought of trying the Chagrin valley ones as I am in Ohio and they offer samples sizes. I don't want to buy for full size bars if I don't know what will work best yet.
    Thanks so much!!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Angela

Also I noticed some folks use acronyms instead of the words and since I am new it is very confusing. Is there a page that lists what certain letters mean? It can be confusing for someone new.

Length
    36/38/40
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

And by moisturizing do people mean it will make it smooth? or what does it look like moisturized? silly questions but my hair has been so fried!
    I also do not blow dry my hair, very rarely. I very rarely use any styling products or hairspray etc. I do try to get some highlights about once a year!
    Thanks,
    Angela

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Has anyone purchased from "Special Needs Soaps" on ebay? (http://www.snsoap.com) I just purchased their "Allure" and the "Patchouli" bars. I was interested in trying CV, but these guys were cheaper & seem to have more good stuff crammed in their shampoo bars based on their ingredients lists. I am new to shampoo bars, and will be going off cones for the first time ever, so I am pretty excited. Definitely looking forward to getting away from SLS & all the other chemicals! I have always hated reading the ingredients on my soaps & shampoos and not even being able to pronouce half the crap in them, much less know what it is! My husband has persistant dandruff, so I am hoping going all natural will help him a lot too. And I will feel a whole lot better about washing my kids' hair too! Hate putting chemicals on them! If anyone else has any good experiences with this company, I'd be glad to hear them! Thanks - and thanks for convincing me to try shampoo bars! I had no idea they even existed before joining LHC!
    Lady Ravenna of Triple Moon and Neon Lights
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Currently at Waist Length, Aiming for Classic

Length
    24/29.5/39
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Annibelle View Post
    But I do have another question-- how can you tell how moisturizing a poo bar will be before you use it??? I looked at the CV site and they had one bar labeled as moisturizing, but I'm sure there's probably something between that and ultra-cleansing... I just don't know what it is.
    For me a moisturizing bar will include olive, avocado or hemp oil at the top of the ingredient list and may incorporate cocoa, shea, or mango butter in it as well.

I think it's sort of a matter of knowing what oils your hair really likes and trying to find a bar that uses a lot of those oils.

Length
    BSL/HL/WL+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by countryhorse View Post
    Also I noticed some folks use acronyms instead of the words and since I am new it is very confusing. Is there a page that lists what certain letters mean? It can be confusing for someone new.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=10

There are tags at the bottom of thread pages. The ones at the bottom for this thread include some acronyms (like CV, SCH - which are the of soap bar maker).

Hope that link will be helpful. I know it was for me when I first found this site. I was a bit lost before I read it.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Strange things happening to my hair ! I've been using SCH bars for a nit over a year now always loving how they make my hair shine and how full and healthy it feels and now that changed
    All of a sudden my hair feels waxy and lost every shine it had. I did a clarifying wash hoping to remedy this, but the wash after the clarifying one my hair did feel waxy again. I didn't change anything in my routine. I had some ofy hair bleached and then I coloured it with manic panic but I'm not sure that is the reason. If I use a regular sls shampoo all of a sudden my hair looks shiny and frissless.
    Oh and I finally got to a stage where I only washed once a week and that changed to.

Anybody any idea what is happening ?

Length
    chin/waist/TB
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Annibelle View Post
    Hmmm, I'd like to know this, too. I've been doing ACV rinses twice a week for a month or so and haven't seen any damage... but I dunno.
    I tried it, and my hair is very yucky. Dry and snaggy and nasty, though some of this is probably a function of the overall condition of my hair. I think I'll keep the vinegar rinses to a minimum, and when I do, increase the dilution.
    Lady Callas of the Mighty Pen in the Order of Long-Haired Knights