Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can sulfates be good for some hair?

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Can sulfates be good for some hair?

I am using an SLS free shampoo right now and I've liked it but I have to admit I miss sulphates. I still have a shampoo left with some in it and my scalp feels so much better after using it compared to the SLS free... also my hair looks shinier and feels softer. Also after I clarify I love the way my hair feels. I'll definitely go back to sulphates eventually once I run out of my more expensive organic products. I just really like sulphates and do get scalp pimples without using sulphates. My hair and head need to be cleaned well! I like to wash every other day either way sulphates or not. I can probably stretch longer once I go back to sulphates and have longer hair that gets less greasy.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thanks everyone. I may go back to sulfates after all. I notice more scalp pimples lately, too.

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I've always used shampoos with sulfates, and I have never had any problems, as far as I know. Also, my roots get greasy too soon, so I really need to fight the unwelcome excess of sebum (plus tea rinses ). When I joined LHC, I worried a bit because many spoke of sulfates like they were bad for hair, and I couldn't find any shampoo without sulfates...So here I am still, using shampoos with sulfates .

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by monsterna View Post
    I've been sulfate free for the better part of a year (even before joining LHC).

I have tried stretching washes, and I hate it. I know there is usually a transition period for that too, but I just can't handle it. I hate how I look in updos, and it's exacerbated by my bangs. I'm growing out my bangs and they are at an awkward, stringy length. If they are greasy, they affect the whole look of my hair. I feel really bad about myself when I look like crap and also I need to look clean and presentable at work, and I just DON'T if my hair isn't washed. So stretching washes isn't an option for me, at least at the moment.
    I have rather greasy roots too. Back when I had bangs, and I needed to stretch washes, I used to just wash my bangs in the sink. Have you tried that? It can work miracles.
    I also feel awful when I am forced to stay with my becoming greasy hair for an extra day (or even two) without washing. But half a month ago I finally found dry shampoo, and it's saved my life. I apply it just to the roots, and it works really well. It's a great way to stretch washes without feeling awful.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

"Good?" No. They're not going to actively help your hair. But they aren't necessarily bad. If you like them, you like them, and it's not a big deal. Just make sure you dilute!
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I would love to use sulfates because my hair loves them but alas, my scalp gets very angry when I use them. I have had bad reactions in the past to SLS shampoos. Just recently, I washed my hair with an ALS shampoo thinking that maybe since it's supposed to less harsh than SLS that my scalp would not react badly. It was a no go. My scalp started flaking and bleeding. I have yet to find a good sulfate-free shampoo that cleans my hair as well as sulfates do.