Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's Shea Butter?

Length
    28/idk/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Well, less ingredients, the more Shea butter you'll have.

I would hesitate to use it since it has two kinds of alcohol, and parabens in it. Maybe you could find something less processed?

It was a gift so I'll just use it as a body butter, then. I have some 'purer' shea butter coming, though
    My nail polish blog
    http://ojevitrini.blogspot.com/

Length
    3/29.5/35
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by basak View Post
    I have some 'purer' shea butter coming, though
    I think you'll be happier with a purer product. Sometimes you can't judge results properly when there are a lot of ingrediants. You wouldn't know what to blame a success or failure on.

I just ordered some Unrefined Sea Butter 16 oz from here today and will let you know the results when I get it and start using it. www.naturessheabutter.com

HTH,

Deb
    2a/f/iii 1/4"/pixie/40"/TB/CLASSIC/TERMINAL

375/188/175

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I just stopped in another health food store which I don't go to aften, and they carry NOW brand 100% Pure Shea Butter in 7 fl. oz containers for $8.99!! I of course picked up a bit!

My J/A/S/O/N was better than none, but I didn't care a lot for the fragrance they have, plus I wanted to try the pure stuff cause I think my hair will like it better than the mixed... and I can scent it myself! (BPAL here I come!!)

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    SL/APL/WSL

What about 100% natural shea butter? They sell that @ my local BSS

Length
    26"/32"/40+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I use raw, unrefined shea butter and you can find sites on the internet that sell it. Here are a couple of sites I've used in the past. Black soap is supposed to also be great for hair, but I've only used it once. Black soap is great for skin, feet and gets you squeaky clean!

The second one actually will send a free sample packet of a few different products:

http://www.agbangakarite.com/

http://www.nasabb.com/

I ordered some whipped shea butter from CV, it contains 90% shea with: calendula infused grapeseed and macadamia nut oils, jojoba oil, mowrah butter, wheat germ butter, wheat germ oil, and vitamin E.

Any reason I can't use this on my hair? I've never put shea butter in my hair before, so if this is okay, about how much should I use? My hair is 54" right now.

Length
    26"/32"/40+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I don't think there is a "set" amount to use, but you should use a little at a time if you don't want that greasy look. If I am using it as a deep conditioner, I use a lot because I know that sooner or later, I will wash it out.

Daily oiling, however, should be done a little at a time. I take a very small amount and melt it with the heat of my hands. then I run my hands through my hair, inside and out, but keep using a very small amount at any one time. Then I'll brush with a BBB, but sometimes I'll just leave it.

You will have to adjust the amount you use by trial and error, I think. The first time I did it, I used way too much, but after a few times, I was happy with it.