Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Hair Please!

Length
    22/31/term
    Type
    2c/F/i

Default Re: Indian Hair Please!

I'm not Indian but I'm doing an Indian hair care regime. Why? Because I am sensitive to soaps and chemicals but also because my hair is thinning and I am trying to grow it thicker.

I use reetha/aritha to wash. I usually make a gravy or tea by adding a tea made from hibiscus, rosemary, basil, sage, nettles, horsetail (any of above herbs). Then I do a rinse with acv infused with the above herbs and a tea rinse sometimes with darkening herbs like sage.

I do a heavy oiling once or twice a week. Sometimes I'll do a mask with fullers earth and henna or cassia, and this helps remove a heavy oiling.
    The oils I use for oiling are coconut, olive oil or peanut oil.
    I do have some problems removing a heavy oil. I usually have to use about 4 tbsp of reetha and make a thick gravy and leave it on my hair for 15 minutes. The tricky part is making sure the herbs get on all the hair strands.

I also use rosemary and lavender essential oils in my hair oil to rub on my scalp at night.

I've also used neem in my washes and like it too. And I brush my hair with a BBB.

I'm experimenting with washing my hair upsidedown because it helps take the pressure off the top of my head where over-washing occurs.

And, I wash my hair daily. I would wash it less often but I like to oil my hair a lot. Maybe too much. Naa, you can't oil your hair too much.

Length
    2/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I am wondering if there is an article or thread breaking down the different Indian techniques and herbs. Perhaps this one will be it?

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I'm not from India - but I have used indian herbs too. For some reason shikakai made my hair much straighter than aritha - so now if I use herb washing I use aritha. I am going to try doing a heavy oiling and using the paste to wash off the oil... with shikakai I could never really get all the oil out and even if I did all my waves disappeared! It actually seemed like my hair texture changed. With aritha I don't lose my waves - but I definitely need more oil... hmmm any ideas? I have hibiscus too...

djh
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Indian gal from New York checking in!

I suppose the most "indian" part of my hair care routine is using coconut oil, and yes, my Indian friends tease me a bit for being so "traditional." Funny enough, I never used coconut oil as a leave in until I came to LHC. Whenever I used coconut oil before, it was a pre-wash soak mandated by my mother. She would massage it into my scalp though, which felt AMAZING.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyronnaise View Post
    I am wondering if there is an article or thread breaking down the different Indian techniques and herbs. Perhaps this one will be it?
    I agree. I would really like to learn how to use Indian hair powders. I have some Meera hair powder. I used it once and I ended up with a gritty, tangled mass of hair on my head. Not much fun, and hence, I haven't used it again. It did smell pretty darn good. Sweet and herb-y!
    But I would like to try out that shikakai powder that everyone talks about. I just need some how-to-use instructions!

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyronnaise View Post
    Check my signature for the Indian herb hair care article. There are a couple of threads on this topic in the Recipe forum.

I'm not Indian, but my brother in law's family is. I have a very similar hair type that responds well to traditional Indian hair care. I was using herbs and oils exclusively for over a year until I got busy and lazy. Now back to sulfate free shampoo (oil shampoo mix) but still use coconut oil regularly as both pre-wash and leave-in.

I find that when using herbal power for wash in mud form, it helps to use a basin to rinse out instead of the shower. The grittiness just flows out then when hair is in free float.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bsl/tail/34
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I oil alot too, my hair seems to love vatika and parachute coconut oil, i swear those two make my hair grow!! i bun my hair alot too... i've never tried the herbs thing, when i went back to india the women seriously had long hair everywhere, i thought i was in hair heaven lol i never saw them doing the herbal thing, i must ask my aunt about that... then i will come back & post techniques, ha!

Sometimes, you like to let the hair do the talking!
    ~James Brown~

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

This is my contribution on Indian herbs
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ighlight=Herbs

I haven't used all found in this thread but curry leaves, feungreek seeds and herbs like aritha, shikakai are really good!

Indian hair is just so beautiful.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    Indian hair is just so beautiful.
    Agreed! I am in long hair heaven on my morning commute to school. The bus I take is full of Indian women with long, shiny hair to admire during the 45 min bus ride.