In the fall, just when the weather starts to cool, I grow an entire layer of fine, dense hair, very similar to a dog's winter undercoat. I get it from my dad, whose hair will literally double in thickness (due to a sprouting of fine hair) at the first cold snap. He doesn't care because, as a guy, he just goes and gets his head buzzed. It used to not bother me, because I tended to get new layers cut in the fall and it made things more breathable.

Now, trying to gain length and not cut layers in, it's DRIVING ME CRAZY.

For one, I already have thick hair with a ponytail diameter between 3.5"-4" when my hair is wet...and then that curls and makes a giant cloud of hair. Now I have another crop of ~2" fine hairs that feel like a down blanket on my head. Worse yet, the fine hairs are curling into their own tiny sub'fro underneath the rest of my curls. I want to comb them into the longer lengths and promote more clumping, but that breaks up the long curls too much. So I've just settled for some very determined fingercombing from the scalp out.

I don't know what to do. I know I'll shed a lot of these fine hairs in the spring, but until then it's maddening.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has something like this, especially if you are a curly, and how you deal with it.