I need advice on controlling my long hair for job interviews. I used to have short hair, but I started growing out my hair 18 months ago after I was laid-off and it is now waist long fine and straight. I've taught myself how to french braid my hair and can to make a nice bun out of a braided pony tail. The problem is I can only do stuff with my hair while it is still wet after being washed and conditioned. My hair is so fine and straight that I can’t braid it or put it up when it is dry because my hair sticks out, slips out, or falls apart. I’ve been volunteering my time so my hair style hasn’t been a big deal, but I have to go back to paid employment now and I either have to learn to control my hair or cut it

Washing & conditioning my hair every day is not an option as I have a dry skin and scalp. I have asthma so I can’t use hair spray. I've looked at shelves of styling products at the store and got completely overwhelmed. Are there products can I put on my dry hair so I can put it up/braid it and have it not slide out? Does that product build-up with use or have other consequences I should know about?

Thank you for your help!
Orange