By burgundy I mean any sort of bluish cool-tone red from dark to bright. Some times people use the wore "burgundy" to mean rusty brownish red or auburn, but that's not what I'm going for. I just started another thread about Henna Hut's burgundy, but after taking the time to look around here a little more, I realized that HH is not the best brand, and I might need a more complicated process to get what I really want.

My hair is dark brown but not so dark that a strong deposit color wouldn't show at all. I still might need to lighten my hair to get a result that's worth the trouble. Do I really have to lighten first? What's the safest way to go about it? What sort of recipe should I use for the best results? I'm open to any ideas, not just henna.

If you had dark brown hair and went burgundy, can you show me your results? I can't see albums yet. I'm not sure exactly what kind of burgundy I want. It depends what's possible using the gentlest methods, and what looks good on other people. I'm not afraid of bright or unnatural colors, but I'm open to cherry-coke shades as well.