Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visible grays: what's your take?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    13"/33"/33"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

Question Visible grays: what's your take?

For the following scenario, I'm interested in first impressions, gut feelings and societal norms. Don't worry that my feelings might be hurt if you don't like the look described in the scenario (they won't) or that you'll be condemned for having an opinion (you won't). It's important to me that the feedback is honest.

Imagine you meet (in a business context) a 30-something woman with a fair amount of visible grays in her very dark hair. Her hair is healthy and styled in a professional way.

What would you think about her age? Her professionalism? Her personality? Have you heard others comment on this? Would your opinion be different if the visible grays were regrowth that turned sharply black after about four inches? What suggestions would you have for her if she were open to ideas?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Visible grays: what's your take?

I don't think it would affect me one way or the other.

The only person I can remember whose hair affected my perception of her as a professional is one of the doctors who works at the same hospital where I work. I've only seen her twice in the cafeteria. She had about hip-length, graying, stringy hair that was down and looked oily to me, and I found myself thinking that if I were a patient, I wouldn't want her to touch me. If she were wearing her hair put up when I saw her, I'm sure it wouldn't have affected me so much. (this was a couple of years ago; haven't seen her since)

Length
    15/40/45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I probably would overestimate her age a bit, I have to admit that, but I don't think it would matter to me otherwise, because I think grey hairs in dark/black hair looks great. Maybe I'm just strange like that

Length
    11/27/30
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I would think she was an independent-minded person.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hiriel View Post
    I probably would overestimate her age a bit, I have to admit that, but I don't think it would matter to me otherwise, because I think grey hairs in dark/black hair looks great. Maybe I'm just strange like that
    Well, I sort of think this too... but when I've had greys showing, the comments I get (from those who comment lol) are usually, "Wow you're sooo young to have grey hair!" and similar...they don't think it makes me look older apparently, just that I look prematurely grey. (And I'm really not that young for greys... but I DO look a lot younger than I am...so I'm not sure if the greys make me look older or just really prematurely grey).

That being said, I colour my grey hair when they get too obvious (which is unfortunately more and more frequently).

That being said, I do admire people who choose to let their greys show! I haven't got the guts for it (or whatever... I think I'm too vain LOL), so I do think it's nice to see people who don't feel the need to cover their natural greys, and I hope one day I get to that point too!

I think the regrowth is the most problematic part though... because when there's four inches or so of regrowth it CAN look as if the person doesn't care enough about their appearance to get it touched up (if you know what I mean). That's the impression it gives me, more so than "maybe they're growing it out" which is possibly true too. It's like seeing a blonde with a couple of inches of dark roots, it often looks as if she just hasn't gotten around to touching up the roots.

Now, that's just first impressions mind... If I speak to someone I get a much better idea of them as a person than I do just looking at their appearance!
    Last edited by Mesmerise; April 5th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    28/48/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I'd probably think she was older than she really was. Apart from that, if the grays were all over the length, I wouldn't think more about it, but if it just was new growth and the length looked dyed, I'd worry about her being careless or something, as if she can't be bothered to do her roots maybe she can't bother to do other things in time.
    Of course, knowing what I know now, that would probably be just my first impressions, and then I would get easily over it, dismissing those ideas in favor of "she might be going grey on purpose, so she must be very strong willed".

I'm quite sure I wouldn't thing it was not professional per se, specially the all-long greys. A bit unexpected because of what I'm used to, but nothing else.

I feel kind of ashamed, because instinctively I keep going to all those stereotypes... :$

Length
    13"/33"/33"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Narya View Post
    I feel kind of ashamed, because instinctively I keep going to all those stereotypes... :$
    Don't feel ashamed, Narya! It's helpful to me that you are able to point out stereotypes.

Thank you all for your input. I look forward to the next commenters!

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

I may think she was older than her 30's, but that would tend to give me an impression of increased experience and wisdom.
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If her face was older-looking then I might over-estimate her age. I might also think "good on her" or something similar, for withstanding the peer pressure to dye it.

I also like it when there is a bit of silver in black/dark brown. It accentuates the silver and the black and makes the greys look like real silver thread or little bits of spiderweb (in a good way - like sparkly spiderweb in the hedgerows on a spring morning, when the dew it still on it and the light is shining through it).
    I think it looks very elegant. On a young face it can look ethereal and otherworldly. On an older face, it often adds to a softer, wiser look.

Length
    bald/3 in/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Panth, I love your description. It makes me appreciate my grays so much more.
    Lady Rosa of the Nightingale Dream in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!