Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much msm is safe to take?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default how much msm is safe to take?

going to start taking msm

does it break people out first off?

secondly I'm slim/medium build, 5'7 and young so I'm wondering how much MSM I should take for benefits of hair growth and skin ect

do I need to take anything else with the msm ?

Length
    TBL/APL/WSL

Default Re: how much msm is safe to take?

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSpector View Post
    going to start taking msm

does it break people out first off?

secondly I'm slim/medium build, 5'7 and young so I'm wondering how much MSM I should take for benefits of hair growth and skin ect

do I need to take anything else with the msm ?
    So funny you posted this right after my post about prenatal vitamins. I"m curious to see what people write/suggest. I'm just learning about MSM.

I'm also watching your post aswell

Type
    1b/M/C/i/ii

i started taking msm just over a month ago. And am blown away by the results!! 4cm (1.5inches) growth in one month woohoo!!

The first thing i noticed was increased nail growth, and hair elsewhere on my body...having to shave my armpits every 2 days instead of once a week! My eyelashes also grew much much longer.

I brought msm tablets from healthspan in the uk, they ship internationally, reasonably priced and it is the purest form of msm available (optimsm)
    http://www.healthspan.co.uk/Perfect-...-c3193433.aspx

Im a 5'4 and 50kgs so a pretty small frame..

I started out taking 3 tablets a day which is 2400mg and had absolutely no nasty side effects. I am very acne prone (to the point i had to take roaccutane a few years back) and did not get a single break out.

My dad also started taking msm - though purely for the joint/arthritis benefits (he is diabetic so cant take glucosamine) and he too has noticed rapidly increased hair and nail growth - so i daresay that on its own it will make a noticable difference.

Im also taking hair formula 37.

Hope this helps a bit!

meant to say also that the recomended dose on the package is 3 tablets a day, so i started with that.

if you are worried, then start with 2 tabs a day.

Apparently it is more effective if taken in separate doses, so i take one tab morning, noon and night.
    Last edited by SilverLocks; April 1st, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Merge posts

Length
    TBL/APL/WSL

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    i started taking msm just over a month ago. And am blown away by the results!! 4cm (1.5inches) growth in one month woohoo!!

The first thing i noticed was increased nail growth, and hair elsewhere on my body...having to shave my armpits every 2 days instead of once a week! My eyelashes also grew much much longer.

I brought msm tablets from healthspan in the uk, they ship internationally, reasonably priced and it is the purest form of msm available (optimsm)
    http://www.healthspan.co.uk/Perfect-...-c3193433.aspx

Im a 5'4 and 50kgs so a pretty small frame..

I started out taking 3 tablets a day which is 2400mg and had absolutely no nasty side effects. I am very acne prone (to the point i had to take roaccutane a few years back) and did not get a single break out.

My dad also started taking msm - though purely for the joint/arthritis benefits (he is diabetic so cant take glucosamine) and he too has noticed rapidly increased hair and nail growth - so i daresay that on its own it will make a noticable difference.

Im also taking hair formula 37.

Hope this helps a bit!

meant to say also that the recomended dose on the package is 3 tablets a day, so i started with that.

if you are worried, then start with 2 tabs a day.

Apparently it is more effective if taken in separate doses, so i take one tab morning, noon and night.
    Thanks for the info--I'll check out the site.

Length
    Pixie/31"/39"
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I have a joint condition and my meds have MSM in them. I take 3000mg of it a day. I had no idea it helps with hair or nails though.

How long does it take to see the effects? Why does it help?
    Goal 1: BSL (27"), Goal 2: Waist (33"), Final goal: Tailbone (39")

2a - F - i/ii

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)
    MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
    People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
    You may take up to 2000mg/day.
    Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.

Length
    TBL/APL/WSL

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)
    MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
    People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
    You may take up to 2000mg/day.
    Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.
    Thanks.. this truly helped. I really didn't know too much about msm.

Length
    25.5/37.5/45.0
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I just started taking MSM this week, mostly for the arthritis benefits. I got it in Monday's mail after work and started taking it then. Believe it or not, by the next morning I could get out of bed without hobbling around like a 100 year old woman! I've noticed since then that my aches and pains, both arthritis related or not, have greatly diminished.

I don't know if it was the MSM or not, but on that same Monday night I COed, and afterwards with my hair dripping wet and bone straight, I measured it at 32 1/4 inches. On Thursday night I COed again, and afterwards with my hair dripping wet and bone straight, it measured just a hair's breath short of a full 33 inches. Both night's I measured twice, and both times Monday it was consistent, and both measurements on Thursday were also consistent. I can't say it was the MSM, but that sure is a lot of growth in only two days!

However, I am forever a skeptic, and I will reserve final judgement until I've COed next time and re-measured. If it comes out even longer than 33 inches then I may start singing MSM's praises. Anyone else notice this kind of hair growth, or did I fall through into the Twilight Zone for a couple of days?

Length
    Chin/APL/waist
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Now, I don't know if it's just me, because some things act differently in my body.

I've been taking MSM for just under a month now, as well as biotin, silica, and I've been going to chiropractic 3/4 times a week. Don't know how much is reflected in my hair, since the longest layers are just now hitting APL, and I'm waiting until I go on vacation in July to really assess any major changes in hair.

My depression/anxiety has totally flipped. Where I once had to sit and meditate before seeing a doctor, I go in, and while I'm waiting I'll be dancing to the music and enjoying myself, not caring that the nurses/techs/whoever may be walking by are laughing. Note: I'm still on antidepressants, and will be starting to wean myself off next refill, but considering that those are the only changes I've made in the past while, something there must have worked!
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.