Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At What Length Did You Begin To Get Split Ends?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default At What Length Did You Begin To Get Split Ends?

My hair is about 23.5 inches long, measuring from my top hairline and running the measuring tape up over the top of my head and down to the ends. I haven't found any split ends yet.

But, my eyesight is not great. I used to be able to take my glasses off to see up close, but now that doesn't work well. My fear is that I have splits but just can't see them!

If henna reduces splits then I may not have any yet. Back in the 70's when I had hair longer than it is now, I had tons of split ends! Of course I was in my 20's and could see much better than now.

So I'm just wondering when/if everyone gets split ends?
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: At What Length Did You Begin To Get Split Ends?

Past hip, with no trims from very short, I'll start getting the rare one or two. But my hair is very, very tough.
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My splits don't pop up at a certain length of my hair - I had far more splits when I joined here at APL than I do now at waist. What causes them (for me) is the mechanical, heat, and dye damage that I was inflicting on my hair at the time. Now that I use henna, am heat-free, and wearing my hair up in protective styles frequently, I very rarely have splits anymore. Microtrimming every three or 4 months helps tremendously also.
    Last edited by shutterpillar; January 19th, 2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: adding more info
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I've always had splits, at no matter what length. The splits are by no means limited to the ends of my hair, unfortunately. My s&ds take forever because I have to scrutinise the entire length of ear hair.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Ditto. I have had luck reducing my splits quite a bit with catnip rinses and my other methods, but I still find them here and there. I even get them in my short nape hairs, probably because those hairs are more delicate and there is friction from shirt and coat collars on that area. The ones on the ends of the hairs are easiest to spot. It is really difficult when they are up near the back of my head. More often than not, I find them by feel, rather than sight. I feel for rough, thick, or grabby hairs and look to see if one is a naughty split end.

Quote Originally Posted by melusine963 View Post
    I've always had splits, at no matter what length. The splits are by no means limited to the ends of my hair, unfortunately. My s&ds take forever because I have to scrutinise the entire length of ear hair.
    Change is the only constant.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Splits usually start appearing about mid back...but a lot depends on how you care for your hair too. The more protective you are about it, the less the chance for a split to begin. Weekly S and D can help a lot in the battle against splits.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I started noticing mine at bsl. I'm sure I had them before that length and didn't notice them.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have a few little ones at APL.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

It depends. When I was not so good at taking care of my hair, I'd see them by chin. That's every-other-day straightening, blow-drying, bleaching, etc. When I don't heat-style, I think probably between shoulder and APL.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I get them here and there, but they begin to really be a problem around BSL and beyond when it's long enough to rub and catch on everything. I suspect that it will be better when I grow it out this time because I will be hiding it up more than I was before.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.