Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shea Moisture shampoo rave and question about Kinky Curly

Length
    1/4"/40"/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Thumbs up Shea Moisture shampoo rave and question about Kinky Curly

It's very rare that I'm impressed enough with a product to want to tell people about it! Yesterday I bought Shea Moisture Organic Shea Butter Moisture Boost Shampoo (quite a mouthful), it's sulfate-free, silicone-free, and cruelty-free. Shea butter is the third ingredient! The ingredients list is short and recognizable. What really surprised me though is not only does it feel LUSH (it's really thick) but it actually got my hair clean, even getting out the castor/coconut oil that had been soaking overnight. I'm actually really curious to try it with the oil shampoo method. The results that have been reported with the oil shampoo sound great, but my hair is so dry all the time I've been worried that just the coconut oil wouldn't be enough to moisturize it...but with this shampoo I bet it would be fine. Does anyone with oil shampoo experience have any thoughts on that?
    Anyway, if anyone is interested I bought it at Target for $9 per 12oz.

Lastly, I've been very curious to try Kinky Curly Custard. However, I've always disliked a holding gel in my hair. The tub of this stuff says it has a "light hold"...how much does it really hold? Does it make your hair crunchy? Does it moisturize at all (I noticed it has aloe vera in it)? Does it make your hair have that "wetlook"? Thanks in advance for any answers!
    Lady Alsviğr of the Sky-Searing Chariot in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Shea Moisture shampoo rave and question about Kinky Curly

I love the Shea moisture shampoo !

It works very well for me. I did use it with the oil shampoo method (even though I knew from Ktani that the ingredients could be problematic ... I had it so I decided to try it) and I have to say the first time I did it my hair had more sine , body and looked better than it ever had ! But by my third oil shampoo with it it was clear that it wasn't working as well. My hair was limp and a bit dull..I still love it though, I just don't use it with the oil shampoo method any longer.

I also love the conditioner! I sometimes use a little on my ends if they feel dry. Sorry , I haven't used the curl cream so I can't give a review of that.

Length
    1/4"/40"/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Thanks for your response! That makes sense, I had a feeling this shampoo could get built up.

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I used Kinky Curly Custard for a while. I didn't find it to be crunchy at all, and it was very moisturizing. The only problem was that it doubled my drying time, and since it takes 8+ hours for my hair to dry without it... I was sad to have to give it up, since it did give me fabulously defined and soft waves, but it just wasn't practical for me.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    1/4"/40"/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rhosyn_du View Post
    I used Kinky Curly Custard for a while. I didn't find it to be crunchy at all, and it was very moisturizing. The only problem was that it doubled my drying time, and since it takes 8+ hours for my hair to dry without it... I was sad to have to give it up, since it did give me fabulously defined and soft waves, but it just wasn't practical for me.
    Hmm interesting. The results sound like what I'm looking for...I'm not sure how I would feel about the drying time. I may just have to try it. Thanks for your feedback!

Length
    SHLDR/32/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I love the Shea Moisture line! They carry it at Walgreens as well as Target. The ingredients list on these products is nothing short of wonderful!

I tend to gravitate toward the products with the yellow labels and the green labels. The pink label products are a tad on the heavy side but they're good for deep treatments. I usually use the shea masques on my hair for overnight treatments. The shampoo is amazing and keeps my hair hydrated in the desert heat. The anti-breakage growth milk is good for putting my hair up in buns. I'd like to find the shea elixir spray but they only carry it at certain stores. I think $9.99 is totally reasonable for these products. You'd probably pay much more for similar products on Curlmart. I hope Target and Walgreens continue to carry these products because they're quickly making it to my Holy Grail list.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

The Shea shampoo sounds wonderful! I too have problems with dry hair and have just been COing for now with Mane n'Tail.

I did try the Kinky Curly custard and unfortunately found to be very dry and crunchy, and I did not have very good curls. It does get a lot of love, though, so my experience may have been a fluke.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    SHLDR/32/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Here's the ingredients list on the shampoo:
    Ingredients
    Deionized Water , Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets) , African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Argan Oil , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) , Rosemary Extract , Sea Kelp Extract , Vitamin E , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower Extract (Honeysuckle) , Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Japanese Honeysuckle)

Length
    SHLDR/32/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Another Shea Moisture product I'd like to try is this one.

Length
    chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I've been using the Shea Moisture curling smoothie for about a week now (well, when i can wear my hair down that is) and I love it! So I picked up the Moisture shampoo last night (yellow label). WOW! So thick and creamy! And it smells amazing. I'd been using the Frankincense and Myrrh lotion for quite some time, but I didn't realize they made haircare as well. I think I'll swing by Target today and pick up the matching conditioner.
    If only I could defrag my brain and soft reset my body.
    Lady Okame of the Sweetly Scented Silks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights