Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cocaloe creme

Length
    ??/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Thanks hon - I think I live in the one place left in the UK that doesn't have a Tesco anywhere near, I'll try Sainsburys tommorrow though.

Darls any chance of slightly more precise measurements sometime? I truly suck at trying to work out equal parts and 'enough'
    Last edited by shrimp; June 13th, 2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: forgot to ask!
    Whatever happened to my fighting, biting, lightning lioness ...
    I think I preferred it when your hair was in a mess ...
    They're not your real curls (XTC - 'Don't Lose Your Temper')

Chocolate domino anyone.. darl_in1's Avatar
    Length
    44"/SL/SL

During winter (to prevent it solidifying too much) , I use a full tub of this Coconut oil, with a full one of this Aloe vera gel and about a quarter of this Avocado oil. Though I have seen avocado oil in various health food shops and any will do. I will probably reduce the amount of gel and oil a bit now, to compensate for it being warmer. The reason I haven't given exact measurements (apart from the fact that I tend not to use them myself) is that, it will vary depending on the climate where you live. If people have trouble, let me know and I will work out the exact amounts...I'm due to make another batch soon anyway!

I have played with the mix, as it all depends on what consistency you want the finished product to be. The more oil / gel you add the softer the final creme will be. Obviously, if you want a more solid or stiffer consistency you need to up the amount of coconut oil. I tend to judge "equal amounts" by sight. Bear in mind, the longer you refridgerate this, the more solid the coconut oil will become. You do need to keep stirring it as it cools, otherwise the ingredients tend to separate. Once it becomes buttery in texture, I like to kind of whip mine up a bit. It *is* coconut oil based, so temperature will affect it as it does coconut oil in general.

My girls have very course hair and need to 'grease' their hair heavily. For finer, more European hair, I would recommend that this is used, either as a pre-wash treatment, or very sparingly as a leave-in.

As for storage......well, my girls tend to work their way through a tub (the size of the coconut oil one in the link) evry month of so. They keep it in the bathroom, at room temp and I've never had any problems with it. I would expect most people would need to scale down the recipe and make a lot less in one go though. Alternatively, if you make extra, you could store it in a separate container and keep it in the fridge. Just take it out and stir it regularly whilst you let it warm up when you're ready to use it.

This recipe is also particularly good for oiling Afro-Caribbean hair.

hopefully, I've addressed everyone's queries...if not I'll try and answer whenever I can get on the computer!
    Last edited by darl_in1; June 13th, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird
    Blog

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

I used the mix today that I made last night. I think I used way too much because it made my hair very oily. I didn't even realize that it was oily until it was almost dry. I think I'll have to use way less next time I try the mix.

Length
    21-30/36/42
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I made up a batch of Cocaloe yesterday afternoon. I washed my hair, applied Cocaloe, and plopped! It all came out pretty well. Thanks, this is a great recipe!

July 06 : 21-30 inches, layered . . . Dec 09: 36 inches, still fighting the taper.

Length
    ??/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Thank you Darls That gives me much more of a clue
    Whatever happened to my fighting, biting, lightning lioness ...
    I think I preferred it when your hair was in a mess ...
    They're not your real curls (XTC - 'Don't Lose Your Temper')

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Cocaloe creme

A big thank you for posting this recipe! I mixed 1/3 coconut oil with 2/3 aloe gel. The smell of the mixture is heavenly. I've been using it for two or three weeks and my ends love it. They feel very moisturized and the allover flyaways can be tamed easily with this mixture. I use it on both wet and dry hair. I also like to use it as a treatment for my hands and for dry skin at my elbows.
    Last edited by Tekakwitha; August 7th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Banned

sounds good

Last edited by Dianyla; July 22nd, 2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: removing spam

Length
    23/27/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Ive just got some coconut oil and aloe vera gel so might just have to get some Avocado and try this! My hair loves the coconut and aloe vera at the moment

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I made a batch for my curly-haired daughter last night. Amazing smell! I used jojoba instead of avocado oil, and to make it mix better I added some drops of conditioner. Although my straight thin hair is not the ideal candidate for this mixture, I couldn't resist and massaged it into my ends as pre-wash treatment.

My daughter will use it today after she washes her hair. I'll report the outcome ;-)
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    bsl+/hip/tb+
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Could this be made without the avocado oil? I have aloe and coconut oil on hand and would love to make a batch of this.