Thread: Best Way To Manage My Hair?

Default Best Way To Manage My Hair?

Hey, what's going on?
    I have pretty much thick, dry, unruly hair that I've hated for the longest time for I always wanted to grow it out but I'm beginning to move on with life and accept my hair for what it is and prefer it medium cut these days anyway.

Well, to give you an idea of how my thick hair can be like sometimes, here's a recent photo about two weeks ago on a hot day due to the
    excess curling:

Now, here's a photo I took of me today with my webcam.

Anyway, I use Dove shampoo for dry thick hair (white bottle, blue logo and text) and recently bought Garnier shampoo for thick dry hair today to see if maybe it'll be better for my hair because of all this humidity plus heat.

Its driving my hair crazy.

Anyway, after I get out of the shower, I towel dry my hair, and when I get to the mirror, I part my bangs left to right where my hair line is (right center) and then also kind of comb part the other hair along that hairline left and right so that it doesn't overlap as crazily when it dries.

I'm wondering, should I use some sort of product to control the waves because it can be unbearable and a mess at times. I like to part my hair but the waves are a bit uncontrollable at times.

Anyway, I think my hair is better than months before because I kept trying to grow my hair out but it overlaps too much being thick in the center yet on the sides, its alright.

My hair is weird, point and case. I don't really even know any celebrity let alone a friend or acquaintance that shares my hair type to somehow even ask let alone maybe copy a certain hair type.

It has its good and bad days but I want good hair days from now on. Tell me if you know anything on how to manage thick in the center, wavy hair. Short, long, lemme know.

Default Re: Best Way To Manage My Hair?

Here's a photo of me during a hot day about two weeks ago. The humidity was really killing my hair and making it look bad / difficult to manage.

Length
    APL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I don't see what's wrong with it. I've always thought that thick, curly hair was the prettiest. CO, going sulfatefree and oiling might help to tame and flatten the hair.

Length
    chin/TB/knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

*Raises hand* thick, wavy, and coarse here! My secret weapon is olive oil. My hair SUCKS up oil and olive oil is heavy enough to make a difference. I'd try a dime size amount at first, and adjust from there. Also, reducing my wash frequency helped a great deal.
    “Genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will.” ~ Charles Baudelaire

Wouldn't olive oil make my face break out in acne?

I currently use an Apricot scrub for my blackheads on my face and it has cleared up quite a bit compared to most cleansers I've used that only make the acne more noticeable (white heads in particular).

My face used to be prone to acne and I still have blackheads. I don't necessarily want to douse my hair in olive oil because I think it would probably make my face look shiny, dirty, or sweaty plus it would create more acne in my opinion.

Though if there's another method to handling it, lemme know. Thanks for understanding though because my hair is primarily thick in the center which is somewhat, dare I say this, gay because its a pain in the ass to mention for it could look cool when you initially style it after its somewhat dry but after a while it looks like $)@!( when it fully dries.

Lemme know .

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

You could still oil. Just be careful not to get it on your face and wash your hands before you touch your skin. Personally, I think coconut oil is the best because some research shows it can actually penetrate your hair shaft and make it stronger, as well as smoothing the frizzies. You may also want to skip shampoo for awhile. If you get a silicone-free conditioner (like VO5 Kiwi Lime) and rub it in wet hair about 5-10 minutes before you shower, it really should clean your hair pretty well. You may want to add a heavier conditioner (like Garnier Triple Nutrition) on the length to moisturize your waves.

I don't have much wave and definitely zero curl in my hair, but if I did, I would probably NEVER use shampoo.

EDIT: And you don't have to "douse" your hair in oil. Just put enough in your hands to make the skin shiny and run it over the length from the ears down.
    January 2012

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Read through this thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!! and this thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread.

More info and advice in those two threads than I could give in a month of Sundays!!!!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    chin/TB/knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonicSound View Post
    Wouldn't olive oil make my face break out in acne?
    I actually use olive oil on my face as a moisturizer. It's made my acne prone skin clearer actually. There's a way of washing your face called the Oil Cleansing Method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...eansing+method). It seems counterintuitive, but it's really worked.

Anyway, hair. You don't need a ton of oil to keep the frizz/dry down. I just washed my hair today and used a silver dollar sized amount on my wet hair so it didn't dry frizzy. You probably just need a dab of oil, a dime sized amount. A little makes a ton of difference.
    “Genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will.” ~ Charles Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by italianamama View Post
    I actually use olive oil on my face as a moisturizer. It's made my acne prone skin clearer actually. There's a way of washing your face called the Oil Cleansing Method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...eansing+method). It seems counterintuitive, but it's really worked.

Anyway, hair. You don't need a ton of oil to keep the frizz/dry down. I just washed my hair today and used a silver dollar sized amount on my wet hair so it didn't dry frizzy. You probably just need a dab of oil, a dime sized amount. A little makes a ton of difference.
    Yeah, the Garnier shampoo that I bought worked out awesome today. Just used it for the first time today and this is after the whole day is done, (night time now), and it still feels soft and not dry plus it smells great. Plus, it didn't add excess oil like most conditioners I've used.

I'll let you know how it goes but so far, its been going good with this shampoo .