Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for people who have tried no shampoo method

Length
    0.5/19/28
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Question for people who have tried no shampoo method

I have some question for experienced users of the no shampoo method.

For those that do no 'poo is it okay to at least do a clarifying shampoo once in a while or does that defeat the purpose?

I was thinking of doing no 'poo but I heard not to use olive oil if doing no 'poo. Have you tried no 'poo? Should you or should you or not use olive oil when trying no 'poo

Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: Question for people who have tried no shampoo method

There are many no-shampoo methods. Are you talking water-only, conditioner-only, or baking soda and ACV, or something else?

I've tried water-only (WO) and conditioner-only (CO), and I'm sure you can work out what they are. It's okay to clarify once in a while (though I don't think there's a point when you're WO), definitely okay for CO at least. Can't say much for the baking soda thing though... though I've heard it's a harsh clarifier so there would be no need?
    You can use oil with most washing methods. Or you could just do a deep oil treatment once every couple weeks and wash it out with a different method than usual.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

There are many no poo methods; water only, acv only, baking soda and acv, sebum only, conditioner only...

When I went no poo, for awhile, I did use oil on my ends, because they are dry.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I've tried CO, WO, ACV only, BS & ACV.

I'm currently CO with a mix of coney and cone-free conditioner, and I clarify around about every 6 weeks.

I use coconut oil because my hair doesn't like EVOO so much, but I've never had a problem with extra buildup from oil.

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's OK to clarify once in a while. Some conditioners build up on the hair, some people get more build up than others.

Oils are perfectly OK for no-poo, even olive oil. Oils can be washed out with conditioner. Conditioners have mild surfactants in them, so they do clean.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's OK to clarify once in a while. Some conditioners build up on the hair, some people get more build up than others.

Oils are perfectly OK for no-poo, even olive oil. Oils can be washed out with conditioner. Conditioners have mild surfactants in them, so they do clean.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    ?/39.5/knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I do BS & ACV, and yes, I use coconut oil on my length almost every day. I don't feel the need to use any clarifying shampoo though.
    2b/2c M ii/iii
    40.1"
    goal: knee

Length
    3 "/30.5"/30"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Let's just clear one thing up. There is no ok, or not ok - only things that do or do not work for your hair. There isn't a prize for being a REAL WO washer, or CO washer, or whatever. Those are just labels to describe people's routines.

If your hair likes a clarifying wash on a regular basis, then do it. Figure out what your hair likes before you start worrying about anything else.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WaterMusic View Post
    Let's just clear one thing up. There is no ok, or not ok - only things that do or do not work for your hair. There isn't a prize for being a REAL WO washer, or CO washer, or whatever. Those are just labels to describe people's routines.

If your hair likes a clarifying wash on a regular basis, then do it. Figure out what your hair likes before you start worrying about anything else.
    ^^^^ I agree! very well put

I think my favorite other than CO washing which is working great for me at the moment was borax with a citric acid rinse.

Baking soda/ACV made my hair too dry and fly away.

I also love clay washes with ACV rinses and then a drop of baby oil after.

I even did WO washing with VCO. I would massage my scalp every morning with VCO and then rinse my hair. When it would finally get too greasy for water to remove I would do a heavy VCO oiling and wash it out over the course of a few days. When it finally came out I would be left with CLEAN hair.

I have always used some sort of oil in my routine.

Oh and of course soap and ACV rinse which I have used way more often than any other method.
    Last edited by ratgirldjh; July 28th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I want to put an emphasis on what the other said about there being no right or wrong thing to do. What you need to do is do a lot of LHC research and read about other peoples experiences and how they handled their hair issues. Then you have to decide what you want to try for yourself. Some things will work and a lot of them won't but you learn by trial and error.

I'll share my no poo experience with you. For quite a while I was CO washing about 3 times a week with either VO5 or old formula WR. Yes I got build up and I would sometimes use a clarifying poo. I found that baking soda was terribly harsh on my hair. I've seen others swear by it. You have to find these things out for yourself. I hope you will LHC is a wealth of information.

I am not here to decorate your world