Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best conditioner for very dry, damaged hair?

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Best conditioner for very dry, damaged hair?

I'm new here but am a regular on the hair board of makeupalley.com, so I learned a lot there. I'm currently co washing 2-3x/week (with Vo5 to clean my scalp and Loreal hydragloss on the length) and washing with a mild sulfate shampoo once a week.

My problem is my hair has been super dry and it seems no matter how gentle I am (little heat styling and styling products, stopped coloring 6 mos ago), it still breaks off and is very dry. I'm basically looking for a truly moisturizing conditioner for very fine hair.I know I'm dry/damaged from years of colorings that were done (improperly) at home.

Thanks for any suggestions and I'm looking forward to posting/reading more.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Best conditioner for very dry, damaged hair?

Hi and welcome to LHC!

My favorite conditioner of all time is Biolage's Conditioning Balm. It's very moisturizing and doesn't weigh down my fine hair. It is a little spendy, but Sally's makes a generic version and it is almost as good.

You may also want to try a leave-in and possibly shea butter or oil to protect the ends (depending on how your hair reacts to oils). For a deep moisture treatment I would definitely try a SMT I actually did one tonight and my hair is soooooo soft! I hadn't done it in so long and I forgot how wonderful my hair feels after.

As a last resort, you may have to simply trim off the damaged ends. My hair was breaking off so badly from repeated coloring and heat styling that I had to chop. While I'm still growing out the color, my hair is now the length it was when I chopped about 9 months ago but in much better condition.

Good luck with finding something that works. I'm sure others will help too, and you'll find tons of info by searching the boards.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I have very dry brittle hair which I highlight - hence it's also damaged. The conditioner which changed my life was aveda damage remedy treatment, hair heaven. Also I have to use it tiny bit of jojoba oil on the hair at the nape and ends otherwise I get a birds nest which of corse causes alot of breakage. Hope this helps.

Length
    ?/56.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

It could be that your hair needs some protein too. I have coated my ponytail in high-fat all natural yogurt, wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it for an hour. Then rinsed it out very well and coated it with a moisturizing conditioner, wrapped and left for an hour also. It made my hair very soft and silky! But remember to always follow protein treatments with moisturizing treatments immediately.

Mariah
    "Sorry don't get it done, Dude." -- John Wayne in "Rio Bravo"
    ?/56.5/50~2b/c~ii (I'm 5'4" tall)

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy-b View Post

My favorite conditioner of all time is Biolage's Conditioning Balm. It's very moisturizing and doesn't weigh down my fine hair. It is a little spendy, but Sally's makes a generic version and it is almost as good.
    Yes! I was wanting to try the generic version. I'm glad it's just as good.

(Sorry, I'm just learning how to reply with a quote,so I hope it comes out okay).

I'll also look into something with shea butter. I used to use Jessicurl Too Shea and that was nice. Thank you!

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Hey and welcome to LHC . You already have very good inputs from some of the members of the community. Even i have dry hairs and so i use Wella Rich Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for my hair and after wash apply a very little amount of live-in serum in my hair. That makes my hair much more manageable and less prone to breakage. Even deep conditioning treatment or protein treatment once in a month is a very good starter for repairing your hair. and also i would like to suggest you that you go through articles of this community you will learn a lot from them. All the Best.

Out of all the conditioners I've tried I've found the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner to be the most moisturizing, followed by the NOW brand 'Herbal Revival' one. I've also found it helps to towel dry your hair a bit before putting the conditioner on to sit for a few minutes to let it absorb better.

Pantene offers a deep conditioner it comes in a tub like container and it is very good but a bit cheaper.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

the recommendations you are getting are great, and as far as products I have little to add. However, with the change of seasons too, if your hair is becoming drier and drier, you might want to invest in a humidifier for your house.

My hair just this past week is turning disasterously dry, no matter what I put on it. I got a humidity guage for my house, and realized my house is running at about 30 percent relative humidity, which is actually cracklingly dry. Since i got it around three years ago, I use that as my cue that the air around me is too dry. When the air is dry, the air will leech moisture from hair and skin, bleh.

If you cant afford a humidifier, or don't want the hassle of one, definately try keeping a few open containers of water around the house (such as in pans and the like). If my household air gets below 30 percent, to the point i crackle on everything I touch, I boil a teakettle for ten minutes letting it steam up the place. My hair then returns to happiness.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Out of all the conditioners I've tried I've found the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner to be the most moisturizing, followed by the NOW brand 'Herbal Revival' one. I've also found it helps to towel dry your hair a bit before putting the conditioner on to sit for a few minutes to let it absorb better.
    I was interested in AO but wasn't sure I could use on very fine hair. I'll look into the NOW product. Thanks!