Thread: Homemade Ayurvedic Conditioner?

Default Homemade Ayurvedic Conditioner?

I've been looking at different recipes for conditioner. Most call for oils, lecithin, and water. Could I use an Ayurvedic hair oil for the oil portion? Or perhaps make an oil with Methi, Amla, and Bhringraj and use that? In doing this am I getting enough of the herb on my hair to make a difference?

Default Re: Homemade Ayurvedic Conditioner?

I don't know much about Ayurvedic herbs, but they can be drying. I wouldn't used Amla oil because it is in a base of mineral oil, but you could add the amla powder to your conditioner. Try using a natural carrier oil. It is hard to recommend which one your hair will respond well to. You're probably aware of the more popular hair oils such as jojoba oil, camellia oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, sweet almond oil, etc.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Homemade Ayurvedic Conditioner?

Quote Originally Posted by pinchbeck View Post
    I don't know much about Ayurvedic herbs, but they can be drying. I wouldn't used Amla oil because it is in a base of mineral oil, but you could add the amla powder to your conditioner. Try using a natural carrier oil. It is hard to recommend which one your hair will respond well to. You're probably aware of the more popular hair oils such as jojoba oil, camellia oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, sweet almond oil, etc.
    Amla is a fruit, also known as Indian Gooseberry. The oil is just the fruit macerated in A oil, often coconut, but any can be used. Mineral oil is what most oils labelled "Amla oil" often contain but don't make the mistake of thinking mineral oil is somehow part of amla oil by definition. You can buy amla oil with bases like coconut or sesame online, or can make it yourself.

EmberCeleste, you could macerate those herbs in oil to make your conditioner if you want. Or if you don't mind making conditioner each week you could use powdered methi seed as a base, allowing mucilage to release then add herbs like henna, brahmi, powdered amla, bhringraj etc. Often when i herb wash i do a 2 stage wash, first the cleansing with shikakai, the 2nd with the methi base and various herbs for a deeper conditioning.
    You could also decide on proportions and mix all the powders together in advance.....just mixing a few spoonfulls with water/herb infusion/aloe juice etc when you are going to use them.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.