Thread: SMT as a pre-wash

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default SMT as a pre-wash

I have had mixed feelings about SMTs. I generally like the way they make my hair feel as far as it feeling healthier, but they tend to be too heavy for my hair and weigh it down a good bit so that it looks greasy really quickly. I quit using them for the most part.

The other night I had a tiny bit of coconut oil left in a jar and didnt want to waste it so I scraped the rest with my finger and did a good coating on my hair for the night. The next day I was just hanging around the house and remember reading that alot of people use SMTs as a CO and how well the CO got oil out so I decided to try that and did an SMT and left it on for an hour or more.

When I rinsed it out my hair dried greasy looking as always and I had to go somewhere later so I just shampooed it. The result was that my hair felt really awesome and really strong and healthy. I am going to experiment with doing this again because I really like how it turned out! So, I think for me SMTs will now be a once a week pre-wash. Just wanted to share my discovery!
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: SMT as a pre-wash

When you have SMT'd in the past, did you try a light-weight conditioner?
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I use VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, no cones. I would be open to trying it again with other suggestions though.
    Last edited by LaurelSpring; June 29th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added info
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Actually, I've always used Biolage Conditioning Balm, which is heavy. Funny I have not had a problem with greasiness on my baby-fine hair.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I gather from your post that you normally do not shampoo after an SMT? That could be your problem.

Like you I am a finehair, and I *need* shampooing. I can get away with every other wash as a WO wash, but must do sulfates every 4th wash or so.

For SMTs, I usually CWC with the SMT but leave it on for an hour before washing (longer does not make any difference) then use a little SMT or another natural conditioner as the final C, but only on the length. I almost never condition my crown hair, except for SMTs, because the honey is so good for my scalp it outweighs the greasies I often get from conditioner.

Oh, and I do sometimes do 'coney SMTs too (Dove).
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    BSL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I always use SMT as a pre-wash, using it after washing never works nearly as well. I also do the same as you and use it to help lift the oil after I've done a particularly heavy oiling.
    Lady Amelia of the Spellsoul Cloak in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Small regular trims
    to try and improve my hemline, while still gaining length
    Currently just above waist length

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Do you put any oil in your SMT mixture? I have pretty oily hair but I do fine with SMTs, as long as I stick to the standard ratio of conditioner:honey:aloe. I generally do a dilute ACV rinse after, too. Actually, I haven't done an SMT in ages, since having an allergic reaction and purging my cabinets of everything with fragrance oil (which included my J/A/S/O/N aloe gel ).

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I have never thought of shampooing right after. Seems like removing every bit of the SMT would defeat the purpose.

2b-F-ii

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UP Lisa View Post
    I have never thought of shampooing right after. Seems like removing every bit of the SMT would defeat the purpose.

Thats what I've always thought too so I didnt think to do it. When I did use it as a pre-wash though it did have lasting effects through a couple of washes.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,