Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Leave-In Alternatives

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Lightbulb Natural Leave-In Alternatives

Hey, my hair tends to get really dry (esp. in the ends). Usually I could go a week between washes, but my hair gets excessively dry so I just have to take a shower in between, just to get the moisture back to my hair. I would really much prefer not do it that way.
    I'm looking for ways to retain the moisture back without the need to wash the hair. I oil it daily (coconut oil), it helps, but doesn't eliminate the dryness. So, beside oiling, any ideas?

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    Short/27"/34"
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Natural Leave-In Alternatives

Hi, Heidi. I thought for awhile that oiling would help with moisture but have since come to understand that oil really only keeps the moisture in that's already there.

I use Fox's Shea Butter Leave-In (2 Shea, 2 Conditioner & 1 Coconut Oil) after I wash w/CO (only 2x/a week). The really good thing about this leave-in is that it both moisturizes (shea and condish) and protects (coconut). Great stuff.

Then, I spray a version of Kimberly's Defrizzing Spray over the leave-in (2 T. Aloe Vera Gel, 1 T. Avocado Oil, 1 dropper of John Masters Defrizz Oil - I will replace this with various EOs when it runs out - and then I fill the spray bottle up with RO/DI water). My hair is thick and prone to frizz so this helps solve that problem completely.

On my off wash days, I just refresh my hair with the spray after shaking the bottle well and it really makes my hair shiny, healthy, tamed with pretty waves that only takes 20-30 minutes to completely dry. As with the leave-in, I believe that the water mixed in provides moisture that the oil then helps to protect. I will also on occasion put more of the shea leave-in on my ends, if needed.

So, if you don't care for either of those mixes, I'd suggest finding a good way to moisturize prior to oiling.

Length goal - 32" (waist) by July 2009

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thank you scalawaggirl, those are very nice suggestions. I completely forgot about shea butter, and Fox's recipe. So thanks for these. I agree with you on the oiling part, but I mentioned it because I knew people would suggest it right away, and I needed something else.
    I thought of making up a spray thing, seems better than mid-week wash.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

So funny, I was coming to suggest the exact same process as Scalawaggirl!

Actually I usually mist my hair first and then add the Fox's leave-in, but it does seem to help.

Looks like we all three have a similar hairtype, so this might be the ticket for you as well.

Length
    Short/27"/34"
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

You're welcome, Heidi. Glad it was of some help. Roseate, too funny!

I haven't tried doing the mist first and then the leave-in so will give that a try next wash.

It looks like we're all on the same page hair-wise. I got a little crazy w/the new refresh spray yesterday after I did another henna on my length to match up w/my roots so it's overdone and weighed down. I think I'll add more water to thin it down and adjust my recipe next time to 1 t. oil and 1 T. AV gel so I can use it liberally to wet my hair.

So, my hair's up in a sock bun today.

Length goal - 32" (waist) by July 2009

Length
    .../33,07/wrist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

i love the mix glycerin+water,with a little( a very little) bit of oil and apple vinaigre. I always have some of it in my bag XD
    another good way to moisture my hair is take a bit of shea butter and comb it on the hair after some water

Length
    18,5"/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Misting with pure Aloe Vera juice (not gel, obviously) was a bit help for me. It also helped with the scalp problems I had because of the indoor heating - outdoor freezing cold thing.

But then again, I have a completely different hairtype....

Oiling without the misting before only dried out even more, unfortunately.
    Currently I am obsessed with arts and crafts - which is the main topic of my german-englisch Blog. This of course includes hairtoys. Please, feel free to come around and take a look!

Length
    BSL/Waist/Hips?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

My favourite leave-ins are Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve- Leave in Conditioner http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=21331573
    and Triple Moon Hair Anointing oil http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=21338807
    Live the Yoga Life in every moment
    www.yogalife.es

Length
    APL/BSL/tlb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Thank you for the tips on here. Today after washing I used the fox's cream on my damp ends instead of straight oil and I have real hair on my ends now instead of straw! On non-wash days I'm going to try misting and then using the fox's cream too. My ends have been dry for so long! Thank you again.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cocolover View Post
    Thank you for the tips on here. Today after washing I used the fox's cream on my damp ends instead of straight oil and I have real hair on my ends now instead of straw! On non-wash days I'm going to try misting and then using the fox's cream too. My ends have been dry for so long! Thank you again.
    Nice! I'll have to pick up some shea butter!
    It does seem like we all around the same hairtype, I can't wait to implement your advice.